Used 2004 Toyota Corolla Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Poor Quality in a Corolla
By merh

2004 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

My family has owned Toyota's for as long as I can remember. We had a great 1984 corolla that lasted FOREVER, over 200,000. My 2004 corolla however is not match. I am rolling up on 100,000 miles and had more small problems that I can stand. So far in the a 6ish years that I have had the car, I have had to replace the serpentine belt twice and the pulley system once. To add insult to injury, the belt started squeaking again with in a year of it being replaced! The lights on the gear shift are burnt out and I've had to have the window pulley system replaced. The steering wheel is too recessed in the dash. Toyota made the car more "lux" but definitely skimped on the quality. It feels cheap!

The Little Car
By bushleague

2004 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

After taking care of my neighbor's 1995 Corolla for 14 years I simply had to buy one. This car is everything that the '95 is and more since Toyota listens. It has more power, an adjustable driver seat, interior and truck lighting.

Simple, reliable, comfortable, and economical. Did I mention fuel economy, 40+ every time. Go for the LE model as they are mostly made in Japan.

Steering wheel controls for the radio would be nice.

Best Car Ever
By Best Car Ever

2004 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Bought brand new from local Toyota dealer. Best car I have ever owned. I had 2002 civic and 2002 mazda Protege before and they're both terrible. My corolla had almost 150,000 miles and never had any problems. I get about 33-35MPG on mixed driving. I would buy another corolla without any questions. This car's quality and reliability is no match. This car has zero problems after 150k Miles.

Love the looks and wheels. Interior is very good and comfortable. Excellent MPG.

Could use more power.

Loved it
By loved it

2004 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I was in the military and stationed in California. I drove from California to Texas all the time. So put a lot of miles on my car. I also got in a wreck and totaled the car completely a few months after I got it. It was dark outside and I was able to drive the car with it totaled all the way to work which was about 20 miles and to the shop to drop it off which was another 10. IT STILL RAN!!! I never had a problem and loved the gas mileage it got. I went 1200 miles from Cali to Texas and had to fill up 3 times. That's not bad! I love this car and miss it deeply!!! Only got rid of it cause I had another baby and there was not enough room in the backseat for 2 car seats plus another person.

Gas mileage

More room in the back. Make the air conditioner blow a little harder.

I have mixed feelings
By 707Rob

2004 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

At 65,000 miles a rear wheel bearing went bad. I thought "great $100 bucks max at the dealer and I'll press in a new one." WRONG. $300+ later I had to buy the WHOLE hub assembly. This is a bad design issue that makes people fork out the dough for parts. 85,000 miles, Engine serpentine belt Tensioner = same design issue....it isn't serviceable $245 later, I now have a quiet belt and tensioner assembly. Fog light relay went bad, $65.00 later the lights work again. Parts are expensive for these cars! Should this stuff be wearing out so soon? Why not design serviceability into the parts?! Or is Toyota trying to sell you pricey parts? Sorry Toyota, that Fusion is looking good.

Mileage and exterior Industrial Design

Design serviceability into assemblies. This makes economic and environmental sense!!! When do we get to see a CVT in these?