2004 Toyota Corolla Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:
energizer bunny
By frinkie on 06/16/11 06:13 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

2004 Corolla CE manual, now with 241k-plus. replaced serpentine belt at 230k, oil changes every 3-6K. getting 30-45 mpg depending on traffic congestion, weather. O2 sensor code light on for 125k but am ignoring it. Agree that car is not stable, even dangerous in cross or diagonal winds and have been blown off road when windspeed exceeds 45 mph. Have had no major problems. Engine is now running rough until you get up to speed on interstate, but it's a rough sound with no effect on acceleration, power. Had an 85 tercel that went 186k on 5 oil changes (irresponsible youth) and only died after lightning hit a BK roof and set it on fire, and a piece fell off onto the Tercel. True story.

Loved it
By loved it on 09/05/09 22:05 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I was in the military and stationed in California. I drove from California to Texas all the time. So put a lot of miles on my car. I also got in a wreck and totaled the car completely a few months after I got it. It was dark outside and I was able to drive the car with it totaled all the way to work which was about 20 miles and to the shop to drop it off which was another 10. IT STILL RAN!!! I never had a problem and loved the gas mileage it got. I went 1200 miles from Cali to Texas and had to fill up 3 times. That's not bad! I love this car and miss it deeply!!! Only got rid of it cause I had another baby and there was not enough room in the backseat for 2 car seats plus another person.

I have mixed feelings
By 707Rob on 08/06/09 13:28 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

At 65,000 miles a rear wheel bearing went bad. I thought "great $100 bucks max at the dealer and I'll press in a new one." WRONG. $300+ later I had to buy the WHOLE hub assembly. This is a bad design issue that makes people fork out the dough for parts. 85,000 miles, Engine serpentine belt Tensioner = same design issue....it isn't serviceable $245 later, I now have a quiet belt and tensioner assembly. Fog light relay went bad, $65.00 later the lights work again. Parts are expensive for these cars! Should this stuff be wearing out so soon? Why not design serviceability into the parts?! Or is Toyota trying to sell you pricey parts? Sorry Toyota, that Fusion is looking good.

Worth every Penny
By Kat on 05/24/09 16:29 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this new with 13 miles. It now has 54K. In 2 years, it goes to my daughter for college, and I know she'll have it for many years after. Other than the typical maintenance, I've had no unexpected surprises, and that's exactly what I wanted after my last car.

Wears out quick
By steve on 04/06/09 16:57 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought car with 10k on it. 1st week plastic piece inside broke didn't even touch it. Car was very reliable, not much maintenance, but was getting very, very used feeling at about 65k, then at 74k transmission went! This was on a manual. Never had a tranny go in my life. Other cars have been driven to 150k plus never had to replace tranny. Oh well disappointed in Toyota. Gas mileage was good though. Also Windows rattled a little from 20k on.

75K Review
By Sid on 03/25/09 11:24 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I had a 1998 Corolla VE before I bought this used vehicle from the previous owner at 65k miles. It was well maintained with detailed service records and looking at the records, there were no quality problems. Since then I have kept up with the Toyota maintenance schedule for this car and have not had any problems either. Overall, it has been reliable, fuel efficient, comfortable and rides quietly. The manual transmission makes it fun to drive. Clutch engagement at lower gears is a little abrupt. However, as you get used to the car, you will figure out how to work it smoothly.

Very satisfied
By eisendo on 12/20/08 06:53 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car in January 2004, and the only thing I have had to repair are the front brakes. The car is very dependable, comfortable, and gets decent mileage (25-city; 35-highway). Toyota needs to equip its cars with better OE tires than the Goodyear Integritys that came with the car... had to be replaced after 20000 miles, and they got lousy traction.

All in all AOK car
By lyraleblanc on 11/23/08 06:19 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Biggest gripe: the steering wheel is too close to the dash, so if I adjust the seat for leg comfort, I can't reach it. Make steering wheel telescopic!! Handling is very good, ride a little bumpy (well, it's not a Camry). Exterior scratches very easily. My dogs ride comfortably. *Great* mileage. Did brakes/rotors at 50K, otherwise have done nothing but oil changes and it runs like a charm. Very reliable, which I love - I never have to worry about being stranded.

Great Vehicle
By em on 10/04/08 18:47 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Corolla about 6 months ago and I love it. I commute to school 75 miles a day, three days a week, and I save a lot of money on gas every month. My gas mileage averages out to almost 33 mpg. I had one trip that I took mostly back roads at about 55-60 mph I got nearly 40 mpg. Very reliable and comfortable.

Disapppointed
By disappointed on 11/08/07 23:31 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I had a Camry that I loved. It averaged 30 mpg. It was a 1993 so time for a new car. I decided to go down to a Corolla since I didn't need such a large car. But I am so disappointed. I am averaging 17 miles a gallon city driving. I took it back to the dealership and they claim that is the average for this car. Of course when I bought it the sticker said 29 mpg for city driving. I would never have purchased it if it said 17 mpg. I did buy it used. It was 3 years old with low mileage. Also was certified. But have already had dead battery twice, which they did replace.