Used 2004 Toyota Corolla LE Consumer Reviews - 95 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

2004 Toyota Corolla

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

11 years and going strong
By njohnsonga1

2004 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I have had this car for 11 years and 217,960 miles. I drive a lot. This car has never broken down on me and never had any major mechanical issues. I have always gotten the oil changed on time and kept up with things such as new brakes, tires, ect. I have never had any issues with it, and if I could buy the exact same car again I would.

Excellent
By alpha_1976

2004 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I did a review earlier after driving about 2K. Now it has 100K miles on it and still going strong no issues anywhere. The only maintenance done is the book. I also switched to full synthetic at 90K miles and there are no leaks or anything even after 10K miles. I might have to check my struts later but that is expected at 100K miles anyway. MPG is great.

Dangerous car when windy!
By Barry

2004 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

We bought the car new and we sold it after 1 year, it was too dangerous on windy days! The car change lane when strong wind! The car is noisy and it cracks in cold temperature (my camry does the same). No mechanical problems. Good mileage. My wife was afraid to drive it in strong winds because the car moves on the road (Toyota knows about it and recommend to install spoilers like the S model at $2,200!

Good resale value, I sold it in 48 hrs Roomy, plenty of space Good mileage (gas consumption)

Redesign the car to avoid dangerous moves on the road when windy outside Work on insulation, it's too noisy. More expensive to maintain (Toyota maintenance) than my Mercedes C class

Great Reliable car!
By Collin Chapman

2004 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This is an amazing car. I must admit that, in my opinion, is not a good looking car at all, but if you are looking for a good, dependable car, this is it. In 90k miles I only changed the factory battery -after 5 years- the serpentine belt and water pump that was on warranty, so didn't pay for it. Other than that, oil change, filters and one set of brake pads + resurface rotors. That's it. (Note: The good thing about this car is that it does not have a timing belt, it comes with a chain instead, hence, not needing a costly replacement. It also comes with disc brakes ONLY in the front, hence, maintenance is way cheaper). The ergonomics inside are not the best, but all in all, great car.

Very simple mechanics. Timing chain. Rear drum brakes. Almost never goes to the shop. Automatic lights. OEM Sound system -contrary to what others say, I think it's very fair. VVTI, the engine really kicks in once you pass 3k RPM

Handling -which improves drastically with a good set of tires; I got Yokohamas and the car rides much smoother. You cannot have the comfort of a BMW in a commuter car. So I think this car is a great value

Was great until 60K
By NYCHr

2004 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the car new in 2003 as a 2004 model. It ran great and had a great MPG in mid 30s w/ low maintenance until 60K, then everything - one by one broke down. The serpentine belt, left rear wheel, radiator and rear wheel bearing that required entire hub assembly to be replaced. The ran mostly highway in the NE. I wont be buying another Toyota for a while. It feels as it is only built to last 60K, then things break down one by one. With the Toyota recall all over the news, I am starting to wonder about the build quality. Oh, the paint chips at 30-40K miles. The noise is unacceptably high as compared to my new elantra.

good mpg. low cost maintenance before 60K. as long as you don't need to replace broken down parts

please improve your build quality. reduce wind noise. the new corolla since 09 is very cheap feeling. it will probably break down even sooner.