Used 2004 Toyota Corolla CE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

2004 Toyota Corolla

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

energizer bunny
By frinkie

2004 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

2004 Corolla CE manual, now with 241k-plus. replaced serpentine belt at 230k, oil changes every 3-6K. getting 30-45 mpg depending on traffic congestion, weather. O2 sensor code light on for 125k but am ignoring it. Agree that car is not stable, even dangerous in cross or diagonal winds and have been blown off road when windspeed exceeds 45 mph. Have had no major problems. Engine is now running rough until you get up to speed on interstate, but it's a rough sound with no effect on acceleration, power. Had an 85 tercel that went 186k on 5 oil changes (irresponsible youth) and only died after lightning hit a BK roof and set it on fire, and a piece fell off onto the Tercel. True story.

Suggested Improvements

nada

Loved it
By loved it

2004 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I was in the military and stationed in California. I drove from California to Texas all the time. So put a lot of miles on my car. I also got in a wreck and totaled the car completely a few months after I got it. It was dark outside and I was able to drive the car with it totaled all the way to work which was about 20 miles and to the shop to drop it off which was another 10. IT STILL RAN!!! I never had a problem and loved the gas mileage it got. I went 1200 miles from Cali to Texas and had to fill up 3 times. That's not bad! I love this car and miss it deeply!!! Only got rid of it cause I had another baby and there was not enough room in the backseat for 2 car seats plus another person.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

More room in the back. Make the air conditioner blow a little harder.

I have mixed feelings
By 707Rob

2004 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

At 65,000 miles a rear wheel bearing went bad. I thought "great $100 bucks max at the dealer and I'll press in a new one." WRONG. $300+ later I had to buy the WHOLE hub assembly. This is a bad design issue that makes people fork out the dough for parts. 85,000 miles, Engine serpentine belt Tensioner = same design issue....it isn't serviceable $245 later, I now have a quiet belt and tensioner assembly. Fog light relay went bad, $65.00 later the lights work again. Parts are expensive for these cars! Should this stuff be wearing out so soon? Why not design serviceability into the parts?! Or is Toyota trying to sell you pricey parts? Sorry Toyota, that Fusion is looking good.

Favorite Features

Mileage and exterior Industrial Design

Suggested Improvements

Design serviceability into assemblies. This makes economic and environmental sense!!! When do we get to see a CVT in these?

Worth every Penny
By Kat

2004 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this new with 13 miles. It now has 54K. In 2 years, it goes to my daughter for college, and I know she'll have it for many years after. Other than the typical maintenance, I've had no unexpected surprises, and that's exactly what I wanted after my last car.

Favorite Features

Gas Mileage, ease of maintenance and pick up when passing cars.

Suggested Improvements

This is not the most comfortable car for long distances. It's great for around town though.

Wears out quick
By steve

2004 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought car with 10k on it. 1st week plastic piece inside broke didn't even touch it. Car was very reliable, not much maintenance, but was getting very, very used feeling at about 65k, then at 74k transmission went! This was on a manual. Never had a tranny go in my life. Other cars have been driven to 150k plus never had to replace tranny. Oh well disappointed in Toyota. Gas mileage was good though. Also Windows rattled a little from 20k on.

Favorite Features

gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Better transmission. Don't use cheap plastic inside.