Used 2004 Toyota Corolla Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Most Helpful|
11 years and going strong
By njohnsonga1

2004 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I have had this car for 11 years and 217,960 miles. I drive a lot. This car has never broken down on me and never had any major mechanical issues. I have always gotten the oil changed on time and kept up with things such as new brakes, tires, ect. I have never had any issues with it, and if I could buy the exact same car again I would.

Poor Quality in a Corolla
By merh

2004 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

My family has owned Toyota's for as long as I can remember. We had a great 1984 corolla that lasted FOREVER, over 200,000. My 2004 corolla however is not match. I am rolling up on 100,000 miles and had more small problems that I can stand. So far in the a 6ish years that I have had the car, I have had to replace the serpentine belt twice and the pulley system once. To add insult to injury, the belt started squeaking again with in a year of it being replaced! The lights on the gear shift are burnt out and I've had to have the window pulley system replaced. The steering wheel is too recessed in the dash. Toyota made the car more "lux" but definitely skimped on the quality. It feels cheap!

Best car our family has owned
By armansaliq94

2004 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

We bought this car brand new in March of 2004 and have 219,000 miles on the odometer. Other than regular maintenance and a $90 fuse this car has never given us any problems. Originally it was brought for my dad for his commute to work and then my sister used it. Then back down to my older brother for college and now I have it for college and work. I commute 50 miles everyday for school and work and gets me 35 mpg average every time. I would not be scared to take this cross country for my spring break road trips. Very reilable car. I would recommend this car to anyone who needs cheap and reliable transportation.

Favorite Features

Love the smoothness and quietness of the engine. The transmission shifts smoothly even after 219,000 miles.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the car had a 5 speed automatic but in 2004 this was class competitive.

Nice car, but uncomfortable
By master_pate

2004 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This was originally my wife's car, but as I am now the one who needs to save on gas millage, it is now mine. I do not mind the look of this car at all. The LE actually has a pretty nice interior. The 5-speed manual also allows me to get a little more power than I would expect from a compact as well. Note, I am 5' 7". What kills me is that the steering wheel does not telescope. This is important because it's position is basically right on the dash, and the pedals are pretty high up, close to the seat. If I move seat closer to the wheel, my legs are cramped. If I move to where my legs are comfortable, my arms are completely outstretched. Worst seat/wheel design I've ever used.

Favorite Features

Wood grain looks nice on dash. The gas millage is so good that I cannot justify getting rid of this car.

Suggested Improvements

Telescoping steering wheel, or pushing floor pedals further away from seat.

first and best so far
By ibitamuno

2004 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This is my first car, the drive is so much fun, the gas usage is so economical, it barely makes me scream for joy, the suspensions for the sports edition are just perfect, the sound system is great, the air conditioner is great, the drive and brakes work just perfect.... I would recommend this car to anyone, anyday. Great car, great value for your money.

Favorite Features

The airconditioner, the fuel economy and the great interior and exterior design.

Suggested Improvements

None