Hockey dad
By james on
2003 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)
Good reliable, well made compact car that gets very good fuel economy. A couple of things that bother me having taken so many long trips: the seats are not very good and I use a cushion to make things more comfortable. The brakes are average at best and you have to plan your stops. The car is really not that quiet on the highway but it is an economy car. The engine works well but the last year is making a droning sound that we thought was coming from the front end or tires. I changed the tires and had the front end checked, but not luck. The body is starting to show signs of rust on the hood of all places. You clearly need winter tires for traction in the snow because the car is so light.
Favorite Features
The engine is the best part of the car- good pickup and very good fuel economy. A little noisy when you need to pass or get away quickly. The transmission is a low pressure quiet unit that is hardly noticeable most of the time. Car handles quite well for a regular everyday hauler.
Suggested Improvements
I think many of the improvements have been made to the new '09 model that I would suggest. Better seats, thicker windscreen, better tires and better brakes on some models. Only the styling leaves me cold. The tranny could use another gear for the highway - say 75 mph.