Used 2003 Toyota Corolla Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Why Corolla is The Most Reliable
By Robt-Cobb

2003 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have 103000 miles on my 03 LE Corolla. This LE will last 400,000 miles just by changing the trans fluid every 10,000 ml, oil at 3,000 ml, spark-plugs at 10-15 months. Tires when worn. The higher wheel base keeps the car from scraping the curb. You can also repair (or find mechanics to repair this car) very cheaply! With premium or high octane gas I get 34cty/40hwy. And I drive at speeds of 70+ mph! The speakers are fine but I hate the lame radio/DVD which is too hard to swap out! And the space doesn't accommodate any of the popular MP3 players! The larger headlights are a welcomed improvement. And the higher door and head room is a great improvement for my bike and computer stuff.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive? Whatever that means! ie; The car drives predictably, has very quick acceleration. Brakes are Ok, not great. Love the rear view mirrors-under lamps. Love the faux wood finish. Love the larger tires -195/60. R15, and can fit up-to a 16 inch tire. Love the dashboard's white background.

Suggested Improvements

Poor quality tires! Get Pirelli tires. Use better paint! The paint chips easily and is cheap, compared to other cars. Needs a relescopic staring wheel. The 8-spoke Toyota hub caps are chintzy, as one of my center Taurus-decals fell off. I don't like day running lights!

Excellent ride
By 44racing

2003 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Car seems to handle great, and rides smooth for a small car. Has a fast 4 cylinder motor with enough torque and horsepower to get up to speed in heavy traffic. A great buy for the long commuter or college student who needs a dependable cost efficient ride.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, sporty look, great sound system, good gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

The ground effects seem to come loose a little. Don't like having to take to a dealership or mechanic just to change the license plate lights. Comfort on longer drives (over an hour) not that great.

A quick review
By We

2003 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

A nice little car. The angle from the seat to the gas pedal seems a bit awkward and has a tendency to hurt my right knee after driving for more than 30 minutes or so. I may just be used to sitting higher in pickup trucks. The car has plenty of power and rides nicely.

Major problems with my car
By Brandy

2003 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Added on the 100,000 mi warranty and expected for features that had gone out to be fixed - not so. Had air conditioner problems from the time of purchase, has been worked on several times. I have learned to tap a box underneath the glovebox to get the air conditioner started at times. Power locks started going out at 40,000 mi. Eventually they all went out after the warranty expired and now I can't manually lock my doors on the driver's side. To get the power locks fixed will cost $2000-3000. Have replaced Toyota hub caps several times for about $80 dollars a piece. Plugged in a bottle warmer into the cigarette lighter, radio, dashboard features, and cigarette lighter fuse blew out.

Favorite Features

After having all those problems, I have no favorite features.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the electrical system, windshield wipers, and air conditioner problems.

CE 5spd
By bri

2003 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this used in Sept. 05 with 50K on it and now have over 114K on it. I haven't had a single issue with it. It's not flashy, but with the 5spd it's fairly peppy and fun to drive. Surprisingly roomy and easy riding on the highway. 36/38 mpg in the winter 40/42 in the summer, pretty much all highway miles.

Favorite Features

MPG, cheap to run, plenty of space, fairly cheap to buy.

Suggested Improvements

A real handful out in the wind or behind a semi, but I switched to the bigger tire like the LE model and that helped. Paint chips too easy on the front of the hood.