Used 2003 Toyota Corolla Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

I love my Toyota
By EV

2003 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have 165000 and the only problem I had was the ac relay went out at 75000 ($200 at the dealer ). Everything on the car still works. I would not hesitate to purchase a Corolla..... FYI 5 spd

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage and low cost to maintain.

Suggested Improvements

Interior integrity ( moving plastic parts )

Great car
By Keven

2003 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Loved this car. Bought it brand new. There was no other compact sedan as stylish as this at the time. Car felt much more expensive than it actually was. I totalled the car less than a year after having it. Ran head on into a telephone pole due to road conditions. Airbag deployed, I was completely fine. From inside the vehicle you would have never known it was wrecked (except the airbag and cracked windshield). Very solid!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, stylish interior/exterior

Suggested Improvements

Power seats

Corolla Not What it Once Was
By Chris

2003 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2003 Corolla new in June 2002, and it has been plagued with quality issues from the start - a major surprise as I thought Toyota was known for its reliability. Some of these issues are minor but annoying (my center console door broke after a few months and won't close, and my dashboard fuses have blown twice). However, the engine started leaking at 40,000 miles, a $400 fix. Most disappointingly, I had to completely replace the power steering rack at 80,000 miles for $1100. Also, the serpentine belt needed replacing at 50,000 miles ($200) and now, at 90,000 miles, I'm told it needs replacing again. I won't buy another Toyota

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage, decent power for a small car. Roomy enough, and fairly stylish compared to the Civic and Sentra when it came out. Now both of those cars blow it out of the water in terms of styling, though.

Suggested Improvements

Quality issues need to be addressed, especially under the hood. There's no way power steering should go on a small car after 5 years. The paint also chips very easily on the front, and engine drones loudly during acceleration. A disappointing car overall.

Best Compact Car
By Robt Cobb

2003 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have 103000 miles on my 03 LE Corolla. This LE will last 400,000 miles just by changing the trans fluid every 10,000 ml, oil at 3,000 ml, spark-plugs at 10-15 months. Tires when worn. The higher wheel base keeps the car from scarping the curb. You can also repair (or find mechanics to repair this car) very cheaply! With premium or high octane gas I get 34cty/40hwy. And I drive at speeds of 70+mph! The speakers are fine but I hate the lame radio/DVD which is too hard to swap out and the space doesn't accommodate any of the popular MP3 players! The larger headlights are a welcomed improvement. The higher door and head room is a great improvement for my bike and computer stuff.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive? Whatever that means! ie; the car drives predictably, has very quick acceleration. Brakes are ok, not great. Love the rear view mirror's-under lamps. Love the faux wood finish. Love the larger tires -195/60. R15, and can fit up-to a 16 inch tire. Love the dashboard's white background.

Suggested Improvements

The dealer put poor quality Arizonian tires on. Get Pirelli tires. Use better paint! The paint chips easily and is cheap, compared to other cars. Needs a telescopic steering wheel. The 8-spoke Toyota hub caps are chintzy, as one of my center "Taurus-Decal" fell off. No day running lights!

Why Corolla is The Most Reliable
By Robt-Cobb

2003 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have 103000 miles on my 03 LE Corolla. This LE will last 400,000 miles just by changing the trans fluid every 10,000 ml, oil at 3,000 ml, spark-plugs at 10-15 months. Tires when worn. The higher wheel base keeps the car from scraping the curb. You can also repair (or find mechanics to repair this car) very cheaply! With premium or high octane gas I get 34cty/40hwy. And I drive at speeds of 70+ mph! The speakers are fine but I hate the lame radio/DVD which is too hard to swap out! And the space doesn't accommodate any of the popular MP3 players! The larger headlights are a welcomed improvement. And the higher door and head room is a great improvement for my bike and computer stuff.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive? Whatever that means! ie; The car drives predictably, has very quick acceleration. Brakes are Ok, not great. Love the rear view mirrors-under lamps. Love the faux wood finish. Love the larger tires -195/60. R15, and can fit up-to a 16 inch tire. Love the dashboard's white background.

Suggested Improvements

Poor quality tires! Get Pirelli tires. Use better paint! The paint chips easily and is cheap, compared to other cars. Needs a relescopic staring wheel. The 8-spoke Toyota hub caps are chintzy, as one of my center Taurus-decals fell off. I don't like day running lights!