Used 2003 Toyota Corolla Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

2003 Toyota Corolla Sedan

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Gas Relief! -- The Sequel
By opie

2003 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

After owning this car for 5.5 years and 105000 miles, I can proudly say that I have had absolutely no problems with this car! I have changed the serpentine belt, brakes and tires and that is it. It even has the original battery. Absolutely flawless reliability. I will never buy any other brand! And yes, I can still get 40+ miles per gallon on the highway. Thanks Toyota -- you made a believer out of me!

Favorite Features

Fantastic MPGs, comfortable seats, amazing reliability, smooth and quiet ride, large trunk

Suggested Improvements

Center armrest is hard as a brick, paint chips fairly easily, needs trunk button on key ring

2003 Toyota Corolla LE
By brian

2003 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is one of the best cars in the world for the price and more. I love my Corolla. Turns on a dime, great gas mileage avg 25-27 mpg at speeds of 80-90 all the time. Over 6 yrs ownership, and oil changes and tire rotations are your only maintenance items needed. Excellent ride, great interior, lots extras, @ 74,000 miles it still feels new, with new tires and struts, this will feel like a brand new car. Everyone that drives in my car, complements it in one way or another. Compare it to any car out there and it can compete. Better reliability than a BMW or Mercedes for half the money.

Favorite Features

Heater vents to the rear seats, that's Mercedes quality. Outside temp gauge, dual antennae, awesome a/c, decent trunk, easy to maintain.

Suggested Improvements

Smoother functioning switches on the heater/ac. rear disc brakes would be nice, although the drum brakes work fine.

Great value for the money!
By terrib

2003 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my '03 Corolla used with 87,000 miles on it. I am a Home Health nurse and needed an inexpensive, reliable car with good gas mileage and a roomy trunk. This Corolla has met all my needs and then some. I have fallen in love with this car. I spend hours a day in it, minimum 500-600 miles a week in all kinds of conditions and weather and this car has not let me down yet. I now have 123,000 miles on it and plan to drive it another 120,000 +. No mechanical issues. I have only performed maintenance: replaced filters, tires, brakes, spark plugs, as well as oil changes every 3000 miles and transmission service. One small problem,have blown a fuse twice from using plug in to charge laptop computer.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy averages 33 mpg, about 50/50 city/highway. Handles superb.Trunk room,interior room. Good looking car. Extra nooks/cubbyholes for storage. Absolute dependability. You really get a lot of car for the money- a real value. It will last and last if taken care of. Did I mention 33 mpg?!?!

Suggested Improvements

Sunvisor hits rearview mirror. Blows fuses easily when using plug in charger. My carpet was already worn and pulling away when I bought it at 4 years old.

Hockey dad
By james

2003 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Good reliable, well made compact car that gets very good fuel economy. A couple of things that bother me having taken so many long trips: the seats are not very good and I use a cushion to make things more comfortable. The brakes are average at best and you have to plan your stops. The car is really not that quiet on the highway but it is an economy car. The engine works well but the last year is making a droning sound that we thought was coming from the front end or tires. I changed the tires and had the front end checked, but not luck. The body is starting to show signs of rust on the hood of all places. You clearly need winter tires for traction in the snow because the car is so light.

Favorite Features

The engine is the best part of the car- good pickup and very good fuel economy. A little noisy when you need to pass or get away quickly. The transmission is a low pressure quiet unit that is hardly noticeable most of the time. Car handles quite well for a regular everyday hauler.

Suggested Improvements

I think many of the improvements have been made to the new '09 model that I would suggest. Better seats, thicker windscreen, better tires and better brakes on some models. Only the styling leaves me cold. The tranny could use another gear for the highway - say 75 mph.

Great, reliable car
By nfonnesb

2003 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this vehicle for over five years and haven't had one problem with it. It is snappy off the line and gets great gas mileage (32-34 mpg around town and 36-38 mpg on the highway). I would recommend this vehicle to anyone looking for a safe, reliable car with good gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

None