Used 2003 Toyota Corolla Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Corolla Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Not too shabby
By lauren

2003 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This car is my first sedan, and I am impressed. I really like driving it and after almost a year absolutely nothing has gone worng. It's fun to drive, but could go a little faster on an incline. The gas mileage could be better but it's acceptable. Overrall, I love my car, but I definitely get the egg smell at times, too.

I love my huge trunk and the exterior is adorable.

Do away with the rotten eggs. Better gas mileage, cruise control for CE models, and I wish my headlights were able to be turned off.

Getting My Money's Worth - 03 Corolla CE
By DBinMidW

2003 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've had the car for a month, put about 1,500 miles on it, and getting 38 mpg. The 5 speed is peppy with good acceleration when needed. Rides smooth at all speeds and handles decently in the snow for a car its size. Interior heating is quick, and AC seems to work well without sacrificing engine performance. Adequate leg/foot room for average adult in rear seat. This is obviously a well thought out car, and a great value considering Toyota reliability. I chose the CE over the LE - the extra "features" on the LE seem insignificant with no real added performance or value for the money.

Great gas mileage, large trunk, ample driver headroom, simple interior controls, and cruise control (cruise is not standard)

Make the tires on the CE at least as large as the LE (they're the same size rims!). Arm rest is awkwardly situated/designed, especially for passenger on long drives. Have more than one speed for the intermittent wipers - this can be annoying at times.

The egg wasn't rotten after all.
By Poetesca

2003 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my Corolla 7 months ago, and have constantly experienced the rotten egg smell a few other reviewers have also complained of. After some persistance, I finally got an explanation: they coat the catalytic converter with sulfer, which makes that awful odor while the car is being broken in (the manger I spoke with said this lasted for about 5,000 miles). I did research and it makes sense, and now although I'm not thrilled with the smell the car emits once in a while, I couldn't be happier with the car, itself. It's cute, classy, fun to drive, and has some really convenient and fun features.

Body style, lots of compartments. I also like the new placement of the overhead light switch. A little hard to get used to, but more convenient.

More buttons and gadgets to play with on the dash! Also, find a way to disguise that horrible sulfer smell.

Sulfur Smell
By pauldp79

2003 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Be wary of a sulfuric release inside the car. No one yet knows if this is harmful, but many new 2003 Corolla owners are reporting a "sewage" or "rotten egg" smell that is coming through the ventilation system. This an occur regularly, but there is no definitive pattern. It is beyond annoying.. please search Edmunds' corolla message boards for "smell". In these cars, the mileage is also affected by whatever is going on with the engine.

Great Car!
By BATgirl

2003 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I love my new Corolla LE. The car drives wonderfully – smooth, solid and reasonably quiet. The styling is great – looks like a baby Lexus. It is so roomy inside. The mileage is incredible; I have calculated that I have gotten over 35 mpg in mixed driving. I had been car shopping for well over a year, test driven all sorts of cars, seriously considered “treating myself” to a much higher priced car. I did my homework and I am so happy that I went with the Corolla LE – a GREAT car for the money (or more). I would much rather have my money in the bank – and the Corolla will help keep it there!

Too many to list! Great safety and reliability ratings; Super quality and comfort; Auto trans is smooth; Auto headlights great; Dash is beautiful and very easy to read; A/C,heat and defrost work instantly and have rarely set it beyond “Lo”.

ABS and side air bags should be standard; Strange smell (rotten eggs?) occasionally; Disk brakes on all four wheels; Poor location of cruise control, hits my leg when turning; needs trunk release on the keyless remote. The horn sounds terrible – so whimpy!