Used 2003 Toyota Corolla Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Most Helpful|
A first version and need improvement.
By Biz

2003 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

In general, the car is great, nice looking, good handling, comfortable and a lot of room even in the back seat for the new generation giant kids. I own also a Volkswagen Jetta and I must confess that Toyota really impressed me with this new (Lexus made) Corolla 2003 it is finally reaching a step ahead its competitors. GOOD WORK!...

Favorite Features

Fuel economy is fairly good, choice of color paint are very interesting. Quick handles in the trunk to fold the back seats are great! Pretty well equipped for a vehicle of its class. It comes with 15 inches wheels but would be better with 16 inches to increase smooth drive.

Suggested Improvements

Dead angle in back are too wide, hard to keep control on the road by very windy days if the car is unloaded(same problem with the Echo)need folding and tinted side mirrors.Worstofall when breaking suddenly over 65 m/hrs the rear of the car start to swing very badly, need re-engineering.

PAINT CHIPS AND RUST AFTER 4 MONTHS
By tanya1130

2003 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my corolla in Nov 2002 and after 4 months i have noticed about a hundred paint chips all over my hood and along the sides of my car... This is my second toyota to date and i have never in my life seen such a disaster.. The dealer says it is normal wear and tear... Is anyone else having this problem??? Oh ya, and now i am noticing rusting spots... Tanya -MA

Favorite Features

comfortable seats and fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

the quality of paint needs to be improved tremedously...

03 Corolla Gets Less than EPA Mileage
By gloriairolon

2003 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I never get the EPA numbers Toyota says I should. It is always 4 or 5 mpg less. It rides like a truck. The seat position is cramped, low and uncomfortable, esp. if you sit in it for more than a few minutes. The dealer can't seem to fix the rattle in the front dash, even after four trys, and says Toyota is working to fix the problem. No luck to date.

Favorite Features

Outside temperature guage.

Suggested Improvements

Allow more leg room for the front seats. This shouldn't be rocket science.

Easy choice
By Daviddgc

2003 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Great value. very roomy for a small car, great fuel economy and I feel comfortable with toyotas reliability! I have always had problems with timing belts in previous cars, it's just my luck. The new corolla has a timing chain!!!!! I give this little car a solid 10. The only negative would be, traveling over 80mph in high wind, it's a little skidish but the pro's outway the cons by leaps and bounds. I have read others complaining about the sulfur smell of the new car......It fades away in a few days, this is normal for almost every car!

Favorite Features

Tight steering, very roomy, fuel consumption, very visable ins. panel, and knowing there isn't a "timing belt"

Suggested Improvements

ability to handle turbulant wind a bit better, this might be accompleshed with a differant tire size?

Bad car quality
By jmei

2003 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Poshed up version of same old car, except that it breaks now. Engine is potent if you want to push hard but handling is left far behind. Minor build quality flaws. Check Engine light comes on every so often for no apprarent reason.

Favorite Features

Go nuts when the VVTi kicks in.