Used 2003 Toyota Corolla Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Great Car - decided to keep driving it
By Happy Camper

2003 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my !st Corolla in 1989 (a 1984 for 3K with 45k miles on it) That car lasted me for 7 years with no problems. It finally died in 1996. I would have been happy if it lasted 3 years. Then I owned a Honda Accord from 1996 to 2004. I can not remember the problems but I was not nearly as satisfied with my Honda. I went back to the Toyota Corolla in 2004 and have been happy ever since. I purchased the car used with 12k miles. It now has 123k and I have not had a single problem. Just routine maintenance, replaced tires, oil, transmission fluid, batteries. I just love the great gas mileage. With gas at 3.00/gal, I fill it up for about 25 and go almost all week.

Zippy drive, easy to park, keyless entry, gas mileage, easy to understand dashboard. Outdoor temp. gage. I thought about getting a new car but with people getting 165k on the site - I decided to keep driving. Hey I do not have 30K under my mattress for a Prius IV or a loaded Camry hybrid.

I can not plug in my cell to recharge because the fuse blows. I wish the seats were more comfortable for a long drive. I wish there was more lumbar support. If you think about it, it is more green to hold on to your old car.

Thought it was reliable
By SteveMA

2003 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I had no trouble with this car and felt it was highly reliable, like the Toyota reputation suggested. I bought the car new and always took car of the maintenance. Then at 59,000 miles, the transmission completely failed. No warning, no symptoms, just stop at a light and when the light turned green, the car would not move. Turned it off and turned it back on, and when I put the car in drive, the car made a horrible grinding sound. Called Toyota and they would do nothing for me. 6/60000 miles was the warranty. Guess they had it figured out just right. I'll never buy a Toyota again.

Low cost transportation until the transmission died unexpectedly. Then the cost went up considerably.

A transmission that last longer than 60,000 miles.

Not as good gas mileage
By Beau

2003 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I traded in my Jeep Cherokee for better gas mileage only to find that I'm getting between 19 and 23 miles per gal. around the city on my 2003 corolla 1.8. By the way it is an automatic transmission.

all acceptable

Worst Car Ever
By brokenwings

2003 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This has been the worst car I've ever owned. I've had to replace the rear hubs ($1200+), the catalytic converter ($200) and the air conditioner. The interior of the car has completely come apart and the hub caps have all fallen off. I've owned cars that were way older and never had problems like I have with my Corolla. DO NOT BUY ONE!!!

Good amigo car
By gpjr

2003 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've put 217k on my car, I commute to my job I do the maintenance on this vehicle myself, iridium plugs, serpentine belt, oil changes ac relay at 153k $90 at the dealers. I was a mechanic in the service, so not a problem, tires at 50k intervals, I put aftermarket rims on it after I lost a few hubcaps on the road, this vehicle has been a great investment and good amigo.

Reliable transportation, nice and roomy interior, good feedback at the steering wheel,well built.

For Toyota, don't sell a vehicle with hub caps.