Used 2003 Toyota Corolla CE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Good amigo car
By gpjr

2003 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've put 217k on my car, I commute to my job I do the maintenance on this vehicle myself, iridium plugs, serpentine belt, oil changes ac relay at 153k $90 at the dealers. I was a mechanic in the service, so not a problem, tires at 50k intervals, I put aftermarket rims on it after I lost a few hubcaps on the road, this vehicle has been a great investment and good amigo.

Reliable transportation, nice and roomy interior, good feedback at the steering wheel,well built.

For Toyota, don't sell a vehicle with hub caps.

Disappointment
By dan kramar

2003 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Having bought Toyota in the past and knowing of corolla reliability and fuel economy we purchased ours used from a dealer with 60000kms on it. I drive all highway. It has cost us a transmission rebuild (it's a manual) for differential bearings and now tranny won't shift into fourth all the time. Wheel bearings go quickly and car is so loud from wheel/bearing noise you have to yell to be heard. I'm done with Toyota.

Fuel economy.

Nice Car!!
By Mik

2003 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have 186,000 miles on my Corolla and the only thing that has gone wrong is the headlight bulbs burned out at about 100,000 miles. That was a $10 dollar fix I did myself. I give it regular maintenance and it runs like a champ. Great gas mileage and EXTREMELY reliable. Again, 186,000 trouble free miles!!! That is no joke.

Reliability.

5 star side crash test rating would be nice.

Corolla will last forever
By MG

2003 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Corolla 5 years ago and in that time I put 225000 km on it. I have not once had a problem with it. With the 5-speed it is fun to drive and super reliable! Unfortunately I got in an accident with it and it was written-off. Now it's so hard to find a second-hand Corolla with low KMs.

Great gas mileage, comes well equiped for a base model.

Switch dash lights to different color.

Hockey dad
By james

2003 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Good reliable, well made compact car that gets very good fuel economy. A couple of things that bother me having taken so many long trips: the seats are not very good and I use a cushion to make things more comfortable. The brakes are average at best and you have to plan your stops. The car is really not that quiet on the highway but it is an economy car. The engine works well but the last year is making a droning sound that we thought was coming from the front end or tires. I changed the tires and had the front end checked, but not luck. The body is starting to show signs of rust on the hood of all places. You clearly need winter tires for traction in the snow because the car is so light.

The engine is the best part of the car- good pickup and very good fuel economy. A little noisy when you need to pass or get away quickly. The transmission is a low pressure quiet unit that is hardly noticeable most of the time. Car handles quite well for a regular everyday hauler.

I think many of the improvements have been made to the new '09 model that I would suggest. Better seats, thicker windscreen, better tires and better brakes on some models. Only the styling leaves me cold. The tranny could use another gear for the highway - say 75 mph.