Used 2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Most Helpful|
You Can't Go Wrong With A Toyota!
By turtlelady6

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second Toy, and I'm glad I bought this one. The car before this was a Ford Aspire and I couldn't hand the dealer the keys fast enough!! The Toy is reliable, low maintenance, gets good gas mileage, and I know it'll last a long time because it's a Toyota. If you want a car that's not only reliable, but easy to drive, gets good gas mileage, and is cost efficient, this is your car.

Favorite Features

The extra 2 doors...I've never owned a sedan before now. It's sooo much easier to let the dog into the car, along with people and other things if I need to transport anything.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage. I'm also used to cars that get around 40 mpg--even the Mazda 323 I had for 9 years still got in the high 30's on 3 cylinders!

Some parts should be recalled
By James

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 3A)

The door handle was broken in two years. I put two brand new catalytic converters on it the engine light comes back on again. It can not pass the annual inspection even though it still runs good with 125,000 miles on it. It's a pain to go through the inspection every year. It should last a life time.

Favorite Features

gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

the computer, catalytic converter, squeaky wheel

Over 200k and still going
By carissab92

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

My Corolla is just reaching 244,500 miles and is still going strong. So far, the only thing I've had to replace is the normal; oil filter, air filter, tires, and brakes. I absolutely love my car and I'm glad it's lasted this long.. I know the day will come when old Rollo retires, and it will be a sad day indeed.

Favorite Features

Durability and Fuel Efficiency. Also, the cruise control and power windows/locks are great!

Suggested Improvements

The only things I'd really like to change would be the headliner (mine's falling down) and the cup holders kinda suck.. Mine tend to get jammed when someone closes them and can be a pain to get opened again.

Okay, but nothing to rave about
By woods

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is an okay car that gets good gas mileage. It started burning oil at around 85,000 miles, and is now going through a quart every 1,000 miles - not what I'd expect from a Toyota. It handles okay, but not as well as my '99 Ford Contour, and is really underpowered. Does not do well in snow, but it does start up reliably, even in subzero temps.

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage. Like the temperature display in the dash.

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders that don't look like they were made for the Dollar Store; some leg room for back seat passengers; a few more hp so you can pass someone on a 2-lane highway; some insulation to make the ride less noisy.

This car is awesome!
By turtlelady

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Corolla in 2009 with just under 72k miles on it. I had a few issues at first but had it VERY thoroughly inspected (every nook & cranny) and found out the issue (the rear brake drums had never been turned), fixed it, and haven't had a lick of trouble since. The car currently has 117k miles on it and runs like a dream. It had it's first tune-up last summer and that improved the mpg by 4, so now it gets about 36 on the highway. I plan on driving it until it finally dies. It's economical, reliable, mechanically sound, and is just an all-around great car!

Favorite Features

4 doors, air conditioning, stereo, power everything

Suggested Improvements

more leg room in back seat. also back seat is hard to get in and out of if you're tall like me (6').