Used 2002 Toyota Corolla Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

I love my Corolla
By Love my corolla

2002 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

What I love about my Corolla: Great gas mileage; cheap car payment; minimal repairs; she always starts; Toyota service has been mostly great What I don't love about my Corolla: She's hopeless going up hills on the highway; merging on the highway can be scary b/c her pickup is slow; I've had problems turning the key in the ignition (just turn harder); my check engine light came on after a couple years (carbon filter replaced under warrantee); not enough leg room in the backseat (I am 5'11'')

The dashboard outside temperature gauge is awesome.

I think it's a great value for its cost. For my next car, I'll upgrade to a Camry to get more leg room and a peppier engine.

Not a bad car, very reliable
By marcus

2002 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

After almost 4 years this has been a very reliable car, 48,000 miles so far. It is under powered, but I knew that when it was purchased. I have done nothing but change the oil every 3000 miles, engine wise. The brakes needed replaced at 20,000 miles, and are not that good. They have always felt soft. It does o.k in the snow, with just a couple inches. highway mileage 40 mpg, but city is lower than rated, I get around 27 MPG. Also it ate the factory set of tires pretty fast. The replacements are not doing bad though. It is nothing fancy but a good commuter car.

very reliable, high resale

better brakes, more power, cruise is slow to up shift after going up a hill.

No more American Cars for me!
By JM Tucker

2002 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Reliability is the name of the game for me my Toyo is tops! When I turn that key I want the car to start, and it always does. My 2002 Corolla is very comfortable(I'm 5'10 and about 285 lbs.) and I enjoy driving it. I have 65000 miles on my 2002 and have only had regular oil changes and scheduled maintenance. This car is very affordable to maintain. I just bought my stepson a 2005 Corolla who is in college and he loves his as well. American cars have along way to go in comparable quality.

Affordable, Reliable, Economical...
By Dinorah

2002 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

When we first purchased the car, it was for my son to use to get to and from school. Rising insurance and gas prices have pushed me to utilize the vehicle more often. I've seen that in the past few months I have been using our Corolla more than my son! The car is a perfect, not overdone or underdone, combination of performance, value, and comfort. It just works! I'd recommend this car for anyone.

Mobility and economy. I can literally fit anywhere with this vehicle! (It comes in handy when searching for a parking spot.)

The only complaint that I would have is that the car could use a bit more leg room. The design is not quite my taste, but remember that we bought this car for my teen, who absolutely loves it!

Okay, but nothing to rave about
By woods

2002 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is an okay car that gets good gas mileage. It started burning oil at around 85,000 miles, and is now going through a quart every 1,000 miles - not what I'd expect from a Toyota. It handles okay, but not as well as my '99 Ford Contour, and is really underpowered. Does not do well in snow, but it does start up reliably, even in subzero temps.

Good gas mileage. Like the temperature display in the dash.

Cupholders that don't look like they were made for the Dollar Store; some leg room for back seat passengers; a few more hp so you can pass someone on a 2-lane highway; some insulation to make the ride less noisy.