Used 2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Best car I've ever had
By joe

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The title says it. Of course I change the oil and filter every 2000 miles and do all maintenance like clock work. Manual 3rd gear with this motor is the best passing gear and merging lane combination I have ever seen in 42 years of car ownership. Need to pass someone on the highway at 50 mph? Downshift to 3rd and tromp on it. Pickup is superb, and they hear you coming.

Good Commuter car
By barc77

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Have owned this Corolla S for 7 years, purchased new. The car is very reliable, always starts, and runs good with 76,000 miles. Only had scheduled maintenance done so far, except for a broken vent (covered under warranty). The car eats brakes, they have always felt soft, and the rear drums never seemed to self adjust. It also eats tires, and always pulls left even after being aligned. Gas mileage is 25-30 MPG city, and gets close to the advertised 40 MPG straight highway driving. It does well with a small amount of snow 1-3 inches. Not a lot of power, especially with A/C on, and no room in the rear seat. Overall a very good, reliable commuter car. I would buy from Toyota again.

Favorite Features

Outside temp gauge, gas mileage, high resale

Suggested Improvements

Better brakes.

Reliable Piece of Junk
By g zeine

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Since, I bought the car in Sept. 2001, I have had to rebuild the engine before 60,000 miles, had the brakes done twice, window motor replaced, catalytic converter replaced. I had the engine rebuilt due to burning oil, now about 50,000 plus miles later it is burning oil again. Door lock on passenger only works manually. While, it cranks up every time, I have never had a Toyota that has cause me such trouble or cost me so much while owning it.

Favorite Features

None, except it does crank every time I turn the key.

Suggested Improvements

I am sure there has been complaints about this year and model. It should have been recalled; especially with oil and engine issue. Safety should not be the only reason that year and model is recalled.

2002 Toyota Corolla S
By nomore toyotas

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

At 50,000 miles, my car started burning oil. Toyota refused to fix it, and blamed me. Then, they demanded to see all of my oil change receipts. First, I change my own oil, so the receipt only shows "Automotive". Second, the warranty states that Toyota does not require oil change receipts. Anyways, I still have the car, and in 80,000 miles, I have replaced the engine bearings ($1500), the front right axle bearing ($1400), the AC compressor ($900), and the front left wheel bearing ($500 including alignment).

Favorite Features

Seats are comfortable. I rated the comfort lower because there is very little legroom. The transmission is very smooth, and the exterior styling is much sportier than newer models. The AC will freeze you, and the heater will roast you.

Suggested Improvements

Engine is loud and harsh, the stereo is weak, suspension is unpredictable over harsh roads or on corners, causing the car to get very difficult to control, acceleration is terrible with AC on. Never got over 30 mpg, and now it won't get over 27.

Good till the last drop
By JJ

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased the car from the dealership as a certifed used car. Since then only had minimal problems with it. You know stuff like headlamps turning foggy and the Toyota logo on the steering wheel peeling off. Overall this car has been great. The car seemed to stop getting great gas mileage once it hit 100 thousand miles, and the suspension seemed to not handle so well too. But it got to 100 thousand miles before I even noticed anything lagging. Now it has 131 thousand, and I just replaced the spark plugs, the PVC valve, the O2 sensor, the belt, and the front springs and struts. In short it runs like it was new again.

Favorite Features

Never had any major problems with it at all. I like the body style, and the great gas mileage. It has 131 thousand and runs like new. if you maintain it and drive it well you will have this car for many miles.

Suggested Improvements

The vinyl around the doors started to peel off. So I just pulled all of it off.