2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:
Most expensive car I have ever bought
By drayton_cross on 05/09/08 12:24 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this vehicle one year used with 30,000 miles on it. At first, I enjoyed the vehicle but after the brakes went out, the transmission went out at 70,000 miles, and the interior began to peel away, I decided that the vehicle did not meet my expectations. Despite following all suggested maintenance, the vehicle continued to have serious mechanical failures. The day that the brakes went out frightened me pretty badly. Based on my experience, I don't plan on owning another Corolla.

I love my little 2002 Corolla CE
By teenblac on 04/14/08 18:29 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Corolla in November of 2001 and always maintained very well. Changed the oil & filter at least twice a year, changed the plugs every 2nd year, get the antifreeze flush every 2nd or 3rd year if you lived up North like I do, and so on. Very content for my first new car and OMG, it's good on gas, appx. 45 miles/km.

Performs as expected... and then some!
By Bostondann on 04/09/08 10:41 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased a pre-owned 2002 Corolla when my 1994 Tercel final gave up the ghost. This is perhaps the ultimate commuter car - reliable, steady, easy to drive, fuel efficient, and unnoticed by speed traps. The five-speed instead of automatic transmission makes a big difference in traffic and bad weather. BTW - I'm 5'6" and find the cabin very comfortable!

Burns Oil
By bst on 09/10/07 09:52 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This was my second Corolla and I was quite disappointed with this. My 1988 was great, had it for 243,000 miles, very few problems apart from just taking care of an older car. This one was a different story. First, made a mistake by getting the CE, things like the backseat not folding down made this a car that was of little use for things like biking, hauling, etc. But mostly, around mileage 30,000 the car has been burning oil quickly, requiring 2-3 qts of oil to be put in on any long road trip, sometimes more than once. Now, the engine has sludge in it that is not covered by the extended warranty, making this car a lemon while still under warranty. Disappointed in the car and company.

Does what it supposed to do
By Nate on 04/18/06 19:51 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The Corolla is essentially a commuter's car for one or two passengers. Commuters want reliability, economy and a comfortable ride. The Corolla delivers in spades. Looks and rear seat knee room are not as important to us commuters. The only weakness is roominess for drivers who are taller that 5'10". Otherwise, you can't go wrong with a Corolla. The ride and handling dramatically improved when I installed Yokohama TRZ tires.

I love my Corolla
By Love my corolla on 10/03/05 12:18 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

What I love about my Corolla: Great gas mileage; cheap car payment; minimal repairs; she always starts; Toyota service has been mostly great What I don't love about my Corolla: She's hopeless going up hills on the highway; merging on the highway can be scary b/c her pickup is slow; I've had problems turning the key in the ignition (just turn harder); my check engine light came on after a couple years (carbon filter replaced under warrantee); not enough leg room in the backseat (I am 5'11'')

Not a bad car, very reliable
By marcus on 08/26/05 15:45 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

After almost 4 years this has been a very reliable car, 48,000 miles so far. It is under powered, but I knew that when it was purchased. I have done nothing but change the oil every 3000 miles, engine wise. The brakes needed replaced at 20,000 miles, and are not that good. They have always felt soft. It does o.k in the snow, with just a couple inches. highway mileage 40 mpg, but city is lower than rated, I get around 27 MPG. Also it ate the factory set of tires pretty fast. The replacements are not doing bad though. It is nothing fancy but a good commuter car.

No more American Cars for me!
By JM Tucker on 03/29/05 22:03 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Reliability is the name of the game for me my Toyo is tops! When I turn that key I want the car to start, and it always does. My 2002 Corolla is very comfortable(I'm 5'10 and about 285 lbs.) and I enjoy driving it. I have 65000 miles on my 2002 and have only had regular oil changes and scheduled maintenance. This car is very affordable to maintain. I just bought my stepson a 2005 Corolla who is in college and he loves his as well. American cars have along way to go in comparable quality.

Affordable, Reliable, Economical...
By Dinorah on 02/25/05 12:06 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

When we first purchased the car, it was for my son to use to get to and from school. Rising insurance and gas prices have pushed me to utilize the vehicle more often. I've seen that in the past few months I have been using our Corolla more than my son! The car is a perfect, not overdone or underdone, combination of performance, value, and comfort. It just works! I'd recommend this car for anyone.

Okay, but nothing to rave about
By woods on 02/06/05 17:39 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is an okay car that gets good gas mileage. It started burning oil at around 85,000 miles, and is now going through a quart every 1,000 miles - not what I'd expect from a Toyota. It handles okay, but not as well as my '99 Ford Contour, and is really underpowered. Does not do well in snow, but it does start up reliably, even in subzero temps.