Used 2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan Consumer Reviews - 64 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Should have been part of the big recall
By kdliberty

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 3A)

I highly recommend you throw the driver side floor mat into the back seat like I did. After the little metal piece that holds the floor mat in place broke off I almost had a wreck! Stupid mat jammed under my accelerator. I almost did not get the car stopped and would have wrecked if the road had not been straight. Otherwise this has been an awesome car!

Has a lot of zip for the size. I put a lot of back roads country miles on this car and it handles those roads so well!

1) fix floor mats! 2) cup holders are terrible. 3) a/c can be weak in very hot weather

Perfect for a college student!
By joejoezz

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

We bought a a Corolla with 120,000 miles on it and now have it up to 136,000. So far, we have only done routine maintenance, although I recommend watching the brakes closely. It burns a little oil but nothing major. Combined gas mileage is around 28 in the winter and 35 in the summer. The car's size is its best feature for living in the city: it drives well for such a tiny car and it is easy to parallel park into tiny spots. You just have to watch out because sometimes big SUVs don't see it.

I like the small size and fuel economy (I am 6'1" and still drive it comfortably). There are also thousands of these cars on the road, so spare parts are cheap and abundant.

The headlights could be brighter and the brakes are not very responsive, even with freshly replaced ones.

Excellent car
By Miami305

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I am the second owner of this particular car and it was maintained well. A/C freezing cold and burns gas well. In my opinion, if you maintain this car it will not give any issues. I change the oil every 3000 miles and do a tranny flush every 5,000, radiator flush every 3,000 miles. It runs great and if you want it a little faster change the stock air filter and exhaust, mines reaches 50 really quickly. Just maintain it it will last you until your ready for a new car.

A/C Miami is extremely hot during summers and I use it on low the whole car is freezing. The door locks are not durable, but you can find them on eBay for $12-15 inside and $15-25 outside. I only changed 3 so far 2 inside and 1 outside.

Door locks, change filter and add exhaust for more power.

Great Car!
By Megan

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I didn't have this car very long. I got in an accident and totaled it. When I crashed I was well protected. I didn't get a scratch. Its a great commuter to and from school. It always turns on even when its freezing outside. The seats are very comfortable and I only had to fill the gas tank every 2 weeks which saved me a lot of money. It did burn oil though which I really didn't like because it got expensive to keep having to replace the oil. It drives pretty well on snow and water. I liked the overall shape of the car, but the paint on the hood was peeling off. Overall, I really liked it.

The outside temperature gauge and the way it fit into parking spots because it was so small and compact.

Better paint job. Don't burn oil.

Piece of Junk
By netprowlerp

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Owned this car for a few years, had both Cats go change under warranty. Toyota put bad motors in these, rings that carbon up and don't seal. I was burning a quart every 200 miles when the car had 50,000, dealer told me they could not confirm the complaint. I have owned 3 Toyota's now and all were cheaply put together and I had nothing but problems. I thing it is time to give the American Cars a try again, can not be any worse then this Junk Box they call the best.

Less rush for profits, a little more in engineering. Grew to big, and now quality is suffering.