2002 Toyota Corolla 1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - 2002 Toyota Corolla S

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan - Consumer Review

2002 Toyota Corolla S
By nomore toyotas on

2002 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

At 50,000 miles, my car started burning oil. Toyota refused to fix it, and blamed me. Then, they demanded to see all of my oil change receipts. First, I change my own oil, so the receipt only shows "Automotive". Second, the warranty states that Toyota does not require oil change receipts. Anyways, I still have the car, and in 80,000 miles, I have replaced the engine bearings ($1500), the front right axle bearing ($1400), the AC compressor ($900), and the front left wheel bearing ($500 including alignment).

Favorite Features

Seats are comfortable. I rated the comfort lower because there is very little legroom. The transmission is very smooth, and the exterior styling is much sportier than newer models. The AC will freeze you, and the heater will roast you.

Suggested Improvements

Engine is loud and harsh, the stereo is weak, suspension is unpredictable over harsh roads or on corners, causing the car to get very difficult to control, acceleration is terrible with AC on. Never got over 30 mpg, and now it won't get over 27.