Used 2002 Toyota Corolla Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

I believe this car helped save my life....
By kdblossom

2002 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 3A)

I just totaled this car on 12/15. The car looked terrible (with damage on 4 sides). The state trooper called it a rollover but it was more of a toss around. I impacted at least 3 different times before I stopped. The car landed on the drivers side and I still can't figure out why it did not land on the roof. I walked away sore and with a bruise on my leg. The state trooper(with 20+ years experience) was amazed that I did. This car has truly proven itself in a real world crash... car has truly proven itself in a real world crash....

Some parts should be recalled
By James

2002 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 3A)

The door handle was broken in two years. I put two brand new catalytic converters on it the engine light comes back on again. It can not pass the annual inspection even though it still runs good with 125,000 miles on it. It's a pain to go through the inspection every year. It should last a life time.

gas mileage

the computer, catalytic converter, squeaky wheel

Just purchased it at 182,256 miles!
By Devon Edwards

2002 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Wow, this car is amazing! I just picked up this car today and I love how it handles! and OMG 41 MPG on my particular model freaking awesome! I drove all up and down los angeles and haven't got below the "full" on my tank.

I love everything about it. I feel sorry for the passengers in the back seat cause they don't have any room. Hey at least I'm comfortable!

he MPG and reliability is overshadowing any negativity in this car.

9 years and still going
By barc77

2002 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I wrote a review about 2 years ago at 74,000 miles. Car is still running well with 94,000 miles. No issues, only routine maintenance since purchased new. No oil burning issues as others have stated. Just replaced plugs for first time (were worn but no indication of oil or other issues). The car still seems to go through brakes and tires quickly. Always starts and runs smooth. Nothing exciting but gets me to work every day without any issues. Gas mileage 28-30 mpg in mixed driving. Interior has held up very well. Acceleration is as expected for a car with 125 HP.

reliable, easy to work on, outside temp gauge.

none at this point. If it keeps running well I am satisfied.

Should have been part of the big recall
By kdliberty

2002 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 3A)

I highly recommend you throw the driver side floor mat into the back seat like I did. After the little metal piece that holds the floor mat in place broke off I almost had a wreck! Stupid mat jammed under my accelerator. I almost did not get the car stopped and would have wrecked if the road had not been straight. Otherwise this has been an awesome car!

Has a lot of zip for the size. I put a lot of back roads country miles on this car and it handles those roads so well!

1) fix floor mats! 2) cup holders are terrible. 3) a/c can be weak in very hot weather