Used 2002 Toyota Corolla Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:
Perfect for a college student!
By joejoezz on 05/28/10 08:23 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

We bought a a Corolla with 120,000 miles on it and now have it up to 136,000. So far, we have only done routine maintenance, although I recommend watching the brakes closely. It burns a little oil but nothing major. Combined gas mileage is around 28 in the winter and 35 in the summer. The car's size is its best feature for living in the city: it drives well for such a tiny car and it is easy to parallel park into tiny spots. You just have to watch out because sometimes big SUVs don't see it.

Excellent car
By Miami305 on 05/06/10 11:25 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I am the second owner of this particular car and it was maintained well. A/C freezing cold and burns gas well. In my opinion, if you maintain this car it will not give any issues. I change the oil every 3000 miles and do a tranny flush every 5,000, radiator flush every 3,000 miles. It runs great and if you want it a little faster change the stock air filter and exhaust, mines reaches 50 really quickly. Just maintain it it will last you until your ready for a new car.

Great Car!
By Megan on 01/31/10 12:58 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I didn't have this car very long. I got in an accident and totaled it. When I crashed I was well protected. I didn't get a scratch. Its a great commuter to and from school. It always turns on even when its freezing outside. The seats are very comfortable and I only had to fill the gas tank every 2 weeks which saved me a lot of money. It did burn oil though which I really didn't like because it got expensive to keep having to replace the oil. It drives pretty well on snow and water. I liked the overall shape of the car, but the paint on the hood was peeling off. Overall, I really liked it.

Piece of Junk
By netprowlerp on 01/14/10 05:22 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Owned this car for a few years, had both Cats go change under warranty. Toyota put bad motors in these, rings that carbon up and don't seal. I was burning a quart every 200 miles when the car had 50,000, dealer told me they could not confirm the complaint. I have owned 3 Toyota's now and all were cheaply put together and I had nothing but problems. I thing it is time to give the American Cars a try again, can not be any worse then this Junk Box they call the best.

You Can't Go Wrong With A Toyota!
By turtlelady6 on 08/11/09 14:17 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second Toy, and I'm glad I bought this one. The car before this was a Ford Aspire and I couldn't hand the dealer the keys fast enough!! The Toy is reliable, low maintenance, gets good gas mileage, and I know it'll last a long time because it's a Toyota. If you want a car that's not only reliable, but easy to drive, gets good gas mileage, and is cost efficient, this is your car.

Best car I've ever had
By joe on 04/30/09 14:56 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The title says it. Of course I change the oil and filter every 2000 miles and do all maintenance like clock work. Manual 3rd gear with this motor is the best passing gear and merging lane combination I have ever seen in 42 years of car ownership. Need to pass someone on the highway at 50 mph? Downshift to 3rd and tromp on it. Pickup is superb, and they hear you coming.

Good Commuter car
By barc77 on 11/24/08 11:34 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Have owned this Corolla S for 7 years, purchased new. The car is very reliable, always starts, and runs good with 76,000 miles. Only had scheduled maintenance done so far, except for a broken vent (covered under warranty). The car eats brakes, they have always felt soft, and the rear drums never seemed to self adjust. It also eats tires, and always pulls left even after being aligned. Gas mileage is 25-30 MPG city, and gets close to the advertised 40 MPG straight highway driving. It does well with a small amount of snow 1-3 inches. Not a lot of power, especially with A/C on, and no room in the rear seat. Overall a very good, reliable commuter car. I would buy from Toyota again.

Reliable Piece of Junk
By g zeine on 10/17/08 12:00 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Since, I bought the car in Sept. 2001, I have had to rebuild the engine before 60,000 miles, had the brakes done twice, window motor replaced, catalytic converter replaced. I had the engine rebuilt due to burning oil, now about 50,000 plus miles later it is burning oil again. Door lock on passenger only works manually. While, it cranks up every time, I have never had a Toyota that has cause me such trouble or cost me so much while owning it.

2002 Toyota Corolla S
By nomore toyotas on 07/01/08 14:33 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

At 50,000 miles, my car started burning oil. Toyota refused to fix it, and blamed me. Then, they demanded to see all of my oil change receipts. First, I change my own oil, so the receipt only shows "Automotive". Second, the warranty states that Toyota does not require oil change receipts. Anyways, I still have the car, and in 80,000 miles, I have replaced the engine bearings ($1500), the front right axle bearing ($1400), the AC compressor ($900), and the front left wheel bearing ($500 including alignment).

Good till the last drop
By JJ on 05/30/08 14:56 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased the car from the dealership as a certifed used car. Since then only had minimal problems with it. You know stuff like headlamps turning foggy and the Toyota logo on the steering wheel peeling off. Overall this car has been great. The car seemed to stop getting great gas mileage once it hit 100 thousand miles, and the suspension seemed to not handle so well too. But it got to 100 thousand miles before I even noticed anything lagging. Now it has 131 thousand, and I just replaced the spark plugs, the PVC valve, the O2 sensor, the belt, and the front springs and struts. In short it runs like it was new again.