2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:
Performs as expected... and then some!
By Bostondann on 04/09/08 10:41 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased a pre-owned 2002 Corolla when my 1994 Tercel final gave up the ghost. This is perhaps the ultimate commuter car - reliable, steady, easy to drive, fuel efficient, and unnoticed by speed traps. The five-speed instead of automatic transmission makes a big difference in traffic and bad weather. BTW - I'm 5'6" and find the cabin very comfortable!

Does what it supposed to do
By Nate on 04/18/06 19:51 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The Corolla is essentially a commuter's car for one or two passengers. Commuters want reliability, economy and a comfortable ride. The Corolla delivers in spades. Looks and rear seat knee room are not as important to us commuters. The only weakness is roominess for drivers who are taller that 5'10". Otherwise, you can't go wrong with a Corolla. The ride and handling dramatically improved when I installed Yokohama TRZ tires.

I love my Corolla
By Love my corolla on 10/03/05 12:18 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

What I love about my Corolla: Great gas mileage; cheap car payment; minimal repairs; she always starts; Toyota service has been mostly great What I don't love about my Corolla: She's hopeless going up hills on the highway; merging on the highway can be scary b/c her pickup is slow; I've had problems turning the key in the ignition (just turn harder); my check engine light came on after a couple years (carbon filter replaced under warrantee); not enough leg room in the backseat (I am 5'11'')

2002 Toyota Corolla
By amdgmary on 07/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The Toyota Corolla is the best car I've owned. It has excellent fuel economy and the vehicle is very reliable. The next vehicle I purchase will be either a Toyota Corolla or a Camry.

Just Commute!
By Basic Commuter on 06/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Owned the LE three years now, and just change oil and add gas occasionally! My roads are secondary, usually, so I can normally get 40 to 44 MPG (55 MPH). I researched before buying, and know I made the right choice. The ONLY complaint is that the car needs either a six-speed, or more HP. Even a seasoned manual transmission driver (all my life) can still kill the engine at times. It just does not have a low enough first gear! I am 55 years old and this will be my last commuter, it is built that well. Just keep clean oil in it, and pay attention to coolant change-outs. You will not be disappointed.

super basic transportation
By tallguy66 on 05/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car to travel weekly between my home near New Orleans and my new job in Texas, 326 miles each way on the weekends. Am getting 39 miles at 70 mpg on highway, no problems at all. I am very tall and need seat to go back farther, other than that am fully satisfied. My last four vehicles have been Toyotas, super dependable, never in shop.

Poor substitute for an American car
By Auto Enthusiast on 08/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Reasonably comfortable, utilitarian vehicle. However, the fuel efficiency has not been impressive. I will probably purchase an American car next, because: 1. Their engineering and design teams are making substantial progress toward reestablishing themselves as innovators. 2. The aggressive discounting by the American automobile companies has made their cars an unmatched value. Can you tell that I regret the purchase and wish I'd bought a far- superior -- and cheaper -- American car, instead?

Good car; poor gas mileage
By steve9723 on 02/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I took a step down from a Camry to a Corolla because I wanted a more fuel efficient car. Unfortunately, I get about the same gas mileage as my Camry (23-24 mpg) - others who have Corollas have said the same. I like the car, but I'll go back to a Camry next time.

I've always been a Honda owner...
By EJM on 10/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

so this is the first Toyota I've owned. The primary thing that attracted me to this car was the price. On average, Hondas sell for about 2-$3,000 more than a Toyota, and basically the quality and reliability are the same. I believe that I got more options for my money than I would have for a Honda Civic. If money is a concern, then buy a Toyota. Breaking is excellent and responsive. If I had the ABS option, it would be perfect. Cornering is also responsive; better than I expected from a small car. While this is not the 89' Acura Legend I once owned, this is a wonderful compact, economical car! I am confident in my purchase.

Unsatisfied Customer
By Chasityrose on 09/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Over all this vehicle's mech. are very good. It seems to be a quiet car. I am dissatisfied with the interior. I have had all 4 door panels replaced. Due to them being warped. I did not expect this from Toyota. I tried to get the vehicle replaced and was turned down. The blinkers were also broke when I bought the car brand new. I feel that Toyota does not stand behind its work. I am willing to try another one but I will be very careful when choosing my car. This car is not that comfortable if you have to ride in it for a long time. Great for around town.