2002 Toyota Corolla S Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

2002 Corolla Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Sort Reviews by

This car is awesome!
By turtlelady

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Corolla in 2009 with just under 72k miles on it. I had a few issues at first but had it VERY thoroughly inspected (every nook & cranny) and found out the issue (the rear brake drums had never been turned), fixed it, and haven't had a lick of trouble since. The car currently has 117k miles on it and runs like a dream. It had it's first tune-up last summer and that improved the mpg by 4, so now it gets about 36 on the highway. I plan on driving it until it finally dies. It's economical, reliable, mechanically sound, and is just an all-around great car!

Favorite Features

4 doors, air conditioning, stereo, power everything

Suggested Improvements

more leg room in back seat. also back seat is hard to get in and out of if you're tall like me (6').

You Can't Go Wrong With A Toyota!
By turtlelady6

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second Toy, and I'm glad I bought this one. The car before this was a Ford Aspire and I couldn't hand the dealer the keys fast enough!! The Toy is reliable, low maintenance, gets good gas mileage, and I know it'll last a long time because it's a Toyota. If you want a car that's not only reliable, but easy to drive, gets good gas mileage, and is cost efficient, this is your car.

Favorite Features

The extra 2 doors...I've never owned a sedan before now. It's sooo much easier to let the dog into the car, along with people and other things if I need to transport anything.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage. I'm also used to cars that get around 40 mpg--even the Mazda 323 I had for 9 years still got in the high 30's on 3 cylinders!

Good Commuter car
By barc77

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Have owned this Corolla S for 7 years, purchased new. The car is very reliable, always starts, and runs good with 76,000 miles. Only had scheduled maintenance done so far, except for a broken vent (covered under warranty). The car eats brakes, they have always felt soft, and the rear drums never seemed to self adjust. It also eats tires, and always pulls left even after being aligned. Gas mileage is 25-30 MPG city, and gets close to the advertised 40 MPG straight highway driving. It does well with a small amount of snow 1-3 inches. Not a lot of power, especially with A/C on, and no room in the rear seat. Overall a very good, reliable commuter car. I would buy from Toyota again.

Favorite Features

Outside temp gauge, gas mileage, high resale

Suggested Improvements

Better brakes.

Reliable Piece of Junk
By g zeine

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Since, I bought the car in Sept. 2001, I have had to rebuild the engine before 60,000 miles, had the brakes done twice, window motor replaced, catalytic converter replaced. I had the engine rebuilt due to burning oil, now about 50,000 plus miles later it is burning oil again. Door lock on passenger only works manually. While, it cranks up every time, I have never had a Toyota that has cause me such trouble or cost me so much while owning it.

Favorite Features

None, except it does crank every time I turn the key.

Suggested Improvements

I am sure there has been complaints about this year and model. It should have been recalled; especially with oil and engine issue. Safety should not be the only reason that year and model is recalled.

2002 Toyota Corolla S
By nomore toyotas

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

At 50,000 miles, my car started burning oil. Toyota refused to fix it, and blamed me. Then, they demanded to see all of my oil change receipts. First, I change my own oil, so the receipt only shows "Automotive". Second, the warranty states that Toyota does not require oil change receipts. Anyways, I still have the car, and in 80,000 miles, I have replaced the engine bearings ($1500), the front right axle bearing ($1400), the AC compressor ($900), and the front left wheel bearing ($500 including alignment).

Favorite Features

Seats are comfortable. I rated the comfort lower because there is very little legroom. The transmission is very smooth, and the exterior styling is much sportier than newer models. The AC will freeze you, and the heater will roast you.

Suggested Improvements

Engine is loud and harsh, the stereo is weak, suspension is unpredictable over harsh roads or on corners, causing the car to get very difficult to control, acceleration is terrible with AC on. Never got over 30 mpg, and now it won't get over 27.

Good till the last drop
By JJ

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased the car from the dealership as a certifed used car. Since then only had minimal problems with it. You know stuff like headlamps turning foggy and the Toyota logo on the steering wheel peeling off. Overall this car has been great. The car seemed to stop getting great gas mileage once it hit 100 thousand miles, and the suspension seemed to not handle so well too. But it got to 100 thousand miles before I even noticed anything lagging. Now it has 131 thousand, and I just replaced the spark plugs, the PVC valve, the O2 sensor, the belt, and the front springs and struts. In short it runs like it was new again.

Favorite Features

Never had any major problems with it at all. I like the body style, and the great gas mileage. It has 131 thousand and runs like new. if you maintain it and drive it well you will have this car for many miles.

Suggested Improvements

The vinyl around the doors started to peel off. So I just pulled all of it off.

Most expensive car I have ever bought
By drayton_cross

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this vehicle one year used with 30,000 miles on it. At first, I enjoyed the vehicle but after the brakes went out, the transmission went out at 70,000 miles, and the interior began to peel away, I decided that the vehicle did not meet my expectations. Despite following all suggested maintenance, the vehicle continued to have serious mechanical failures. The day that the brakes went out frightened me pretty badly. Based on my experience, I don't plan on owning another Corolla.

Favorite Features

5 speed manual transmission, moonroof, quick acceleration in 1st and 2nd gear.

Suggested Improvements

Slow acceleration in 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear. Vinyl interior needs improvement. Disappointed in the reliability.

Not a bad car, very reliable
By marcus

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

After almost 4 years this has been a very reliable car, 48,000 miles so far. It is under powered, but I knew that when it was purchased. I have done nothing but change the oil every 3000 miles, engine wise. The brakes needed replaced at 20,000 miles, and are not that good. They have always felt soft. It does o.k in the snow, with just a couple inches. highway mileage 40 mpg, but city is lower than rated, I get around 27 MPG. Also it ate the factory set of tires pretty fast. The replacements are not doing bad though. It is nothing fancy but a good commuter car.

Favorite Features

very reliable, high resale

Suggested Improvements

better brakes, more power, cruise is slow to up shift after going up a hill.

Okay, but nothing to rave about
By woods

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is an okay car that gets good gas mileage. It started burning oil at around 85,000 miles, and is now going through a quart every 1,000 miles - not what I'd expect from a Toyota. It handles okay, but not as well as my '99 Ford Contour, and is really underpowered. Does not do well in snow, but it does start up reliably, even in subzero temps.

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage. Like the temperature display in the dash.

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders that don't look like they were made for the Dollar Store; some leg room for back seat passengers; a few more hp so you can pass someone on a 2-lane highway; some insulation to make the ride less noisy.

Basic Transportation
By lawoody

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This corolla S is not the most exciting, but compared to my other cars (audi/bmw) is built superior. In 33K, it has required ZERO maintenance costs. Just oil changes and it gets 30mpg mix driving. The S version is much nicer and the interior is pretty good. Handling is only ok. Resale value is very high. Great student car.

Favorite Features

Reliability, gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Better tires, suspension.