Used 2002 Toyota Corolla S Sedan Consumer Reviews - 21 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

This car is awesome!
By turtlelady

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Corolla in 2009 with just under 72k miles on it.
I had a few issues at first but had it VERY thoroughly inspected (every nook & cranny) and found out the issue (the rear brake drums had never been turned), fixed it, and haven't had a lick of trouble since. The car currently has 117k miles on it and runs like a dream. It had it's first tune-up last summer and that improved the mpg by 4, so now it gets about 36 on the highway. I plan on driving it until it finally dies. It's economical, reliable, mechanically sound, and is just an all-around great car!

4 doors, air conditioning, stereo, power everything

more leg room in back seat. also back seat is hard to get in and out of if you're tall like me (6').

You Can't Go Wrong With A Toyota!
By turtlelady6

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second Toy, and I'm glad I bought this one. The car before this was a Ford Aspire and I couldn't hand the dealer the keys fast enough!! The Toy is reliable, low maintenance, gets good gas mileage, and I know it'll last a long time because it's a Toyota. If you want a car that's not only reliable, but easy to drive, gets good gas mileage, and is cost efficient, this is your car.

The extra 2 doors...I've never owned a sedan before now. It's sooo much easier to let the dog into the car, along with people and other things if I need to transport anything.

Gas mileage. I'm also used to cars that get around 40 mpg--even the Mazda 323 I had for 9 years still got in the high 30's on 3 cylinders!

Good Commuter car
By barc77

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Have owned this Corolla S for 7 years, purchased new. The car is very reliable, always starts, and runs good with 76,000 miles. Only had scheduled maintenance done so far, except for a broken vent (covered under warranty). The car eats brakes, they have always felt soft, and the rear drums never seemed to self adjust. It also eats tires, and always pulls left even after being aligned. Gas mileage is 25-30 MPG city, and gets close to the advertised 40 MPG straight highway driving. It does well with a small amount of snow 1-3 inches. Not a lot of power, especially with A/C on, and no room in the rear seat. Overall a very good, reliable commuter car. I would buy from Toyota again.

Outside temp gauge, gas mileage, high resale

Better brakes.

Reliable Piece of Junk
By g zeine

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Since, I bought the car in Sept. 2001, I have had to rebuild the engine before 60,000 miles, had the brakes done twice, window motor replaced, catalytic converter replaced. I had the engine rebuilt due to burning oil, now about 50,000 plus miles later it is burning oil again. Door lock on passenger only works manually. While, it cranks up every time, I have never had a Toyota that has cause me such trouble or cost me so much while owning it.

None, except it does crank every time I turn the key.

I am sure there has been complaints about this year and model. It should have been recalled; especially with oil and engine issue. Safety should not be the only reason that year and model is recalled.

2002 Toyota Corolla S
By nomore toyotas

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

At 50,000 miles, my car started burning oil. Toyota refused to fix it, and blamed me. Then, they demanded to see all of my oil change receipts. First, I change my own oil, so the receipt only shows "Automotive". Second, the warranty states that Toyota does not require oil change receipts. Anyways, I still have the car, and in 80,000 miles, I have replaced the engine bearings ($1500), the front right axle bearing ($1400), the AC compressor ($900), and the front left wheel bearing ($500 including alignment).

Seats are comfortable. I rated the comfort lower because there is very little legroom. The transmission is very smooth, and the exterior styling is much sportier than newer models. The AC will freeze you, and the heater will roast you.

Engine is loud and harsh, the stereo is weak, suspension is unpredictable over harsh roads or on corners, causing the car to get very difficult to control, acceleration is terrible with AC on. Never got over 30 mpg, and now it won't get over 27.