Used 2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

This car is awesome!
By turtlelady

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Corolla in 2009 with just under 72k miles on it. I had a few issues at first but had it VERY thoroughly inspected (every nook & cranny) and found out the issue (the rear brake drums had never been turned), fixed it, and haven't had a lick of trouble since. The car currently has 117k miles on it and runs like a dream. It had it's first tune-up last summer and that improved the mpg by 4, so now it gets about 36 on the highway. I plan on driving it until it finally dies. It's economical, reliable, mechanically sound, and is just an all-around great car!

4 doors, air conditioning, stereo, power everything

more leg room in back seat. also back seat is hard to get in and out of if you're tall like me (6').

Amazing value in one little car
By kevinmscott

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Bought an 02 S model about 3 years ago. Abused by original owners and left for dead. Our friend at the junkyard for it working in a jiffy. My first car, college car, put some 40k long and hard freeway miles on it (it's at 180k now), replaced transmission, struts, manifold and a wheel baring, but it has never broken down on me or failed to start. I've driven it through hot Vermont summers and freezing Maine winters. This is the car I walk out to every morning and thank the Lord for. It is a car I am truly satisfied with.

This S - sport edition - has a tachometer and a cool steering wheel. It handles nice and tidy like a sports car should. It knows that it's supposed to be sporty and fulfills that. All black interior feels good. I've driven it hard, ran it near out of oil a couple times, but it's still faithful and reliable as a rock.

The cosmetics - mostly plastics - were clearly not made for New England weather and have now all broken. Cruise control stalk, rainguards, and even the door handle once broke - just the plastic parts. The 4-speed automatic transmission is a bit slow on the gear changes... and the center console is only big enough to rest either the driver's arm or the passenger's arm... but I suppose that wouldn't be a problem if you're holding her hand ;)

Over 200k and still going
By carissab92

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

My Corolla is just reaching 244,500 miles and is still going strong. So far, the only thing I've had to replace is the normal; oil filter, air filter, tires, and brakes. I absolutely love my car and I'm glad it's lasted this long.. I know the day will come when old Rollo retires, and it will be a sad day indeed.

Durability and Fuel Efficiency. Also, the cruise control and power windows/locks are great!

The only things I'd really like to change would be the headliner (mine's falling down) and the cup holders kinda suck.. Mine tend to get jammed when someone closes them and can be a pain to get opened again.

just the best
By leofreshness

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

this is the best car ever. i got it at 80000 miles and now has over 100000 miles and no problems. am the 2nd owner. when i got it i had to learn to drive manual. so you now what a clutch goes through when someone uses it for the first time. and till this day it been the same clutch since it was made and its still good and soothe. great on gas i got around 36 city and 45 highway normal driving. no engine problems just great. if you want a car that gets great gas mileage, will drive past 300000 miles cheap and just pure reliable get this corolla but only a manual one. the autos are great but i believe they wont last as long . and the manual will get better mpg.

really reliable. cheap parts. easy to work on. the 5speed manual transmission. no timing belt problems because there is no timing belt its a timing chain how awesome is that on a 4 cylinder car. this will make the car run better than a timing belt and save you money.

no improvements needed. maybe i can say like a supercharger or turbo package JK.

Old 'Rolls.
By jayqohardd

2002 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

When receiving this car as a gift at 16 years old from my mother I had never been so excited! Ever since then I have drove the car & I am now 21, & the car will be with me until it won't run anymore. From my first accident to the second one, to forgetting to change the oil, to a deer or three, to the three original hubcaps that are left, my corolla has never ever let me down. I have ran on empty far too many times than imaginable, and have never once ran out of gas. Dependable when I definitely need her to be. She is so reliable that we have named her "Old Rolls." because no matter the situation she rolls through anything. (corny I realize.)

Love the gas mileage!! On average I pay $20 a week on gas, if that, and drive over 500 miles a week to and from work (interstate.) I have never broken down due to anything mechanical wise, even running on empty for over 50 miles when lost. I love the fact that you never have to turn your lights on when it's dark, and that they also turn themselves off if forgotten. trunk space is awesome, especially when you're a college kid always moving to & from home! Very inexpensive to maintain. I pay little to nothing for parts when I have accidents & need a headlight, etc... Very comfy backseat for my friends. LOVE how bright the headlights are, especially the brights.

The cd player just quit, so I did have to purchase a stock one. You can definitely hear the belt running, especially in the rain! The brakes do ware down quickly, but I also realize due to a few accidents that this could have caused an issue. No stock key less entry on LE versions, so when it rains it pours. It is a 4 cylinder, & def goes up hills like one! I wish she had more power, but I definitely understand. The rear cup holders are ridiculous! By all means way too small & inconvenient. Leg room in the back is tight, wouldn't suggest anyone over 5'8" to sit back there. Stinkin' check engine light will not turn off! No matter how many car places you go to!