2002 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:
This car is awesome!
By turtlelady on 05/30/14 14:37 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Corolla in 2009 with just under 72k miles on it. I had a few issues at first but had it VERY thoroughly inspected (every nook & cranny) and found out the issue (the rear brake drums had never been turned), fixed it, and haven't had a lick of trouble since. The car currently has 117k miles on it and runs like a dream. It had it's first tune-up last summer and that improved the mpg by 4, so now it gets about 36 on the highway. I plan on driving it until it finally dies. It's economical, reliable, mechanically sound, and is just an all-around great car!

You Can't Go Wrong With A Toyota!
By turtlelady6 on 08/11/09 14:17 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second Toy, and I'm glad I bought this one. The car before this was a Ford Aspire and I couldn't hand the dealer the keys fast enough!! The Toy is reliable, low maintenance, gets good gas mileage, and I know it'll last a long time because it's a Toyota. If you want a car that's not only reliable, but easy to drive, gets good gas mileage, and is cost efficient, this is your car.

Good Commuter car
By barc77 on 11/24/08 11:34 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Have owned this Corolla S for 7 years, purchased new. The car is very reliable, always starts, and runs good with 76,000 miles. Only had scheduled maintenance done so far, except for a broken vent (covered under warranty). The car eats brakes, they have always felt soft, and the rear drums never seemed to self adjust. It also eats tires, and always pulls left even after being aligned. Gas mileage is 25-30 MPG city, and gets close to the advertised 40 MPG straight highway driving. It does well with a small amount of snow 1-3 inches. Not a lot of power, especially with A/C on, and no room in the rear seat. Overall a very good, reliable commuter car. I would buy from Toyota again.

Reliable Piece of Junk
By g zeine on 10/17/08 12:00 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Since, I bought the car in Sept. 2001, I have had to rebuild the engine before 60,000 miles, had the brakes done twice, window motor replaced, catalytic converter replaced. I had the engine rebuilt due to burning oil, now about 50,000 plus miles later it is burning oil again. Door lock on passenger only works manually. While, it cranks up every time, I have never had a Toyota that has cause me such trouble or cost me so much while owning it.

2002 Toyota Corolla S
By nomore toyotas on 07/01/08 14:33 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

At 50,000 miles, my car started burning oil. Toyota refused to fix it, and blamed me. Then, they demanded to see all of my oil change receipts. First, I change my own oil, so the receipt only shows "Automotive". Second, the warranty states that Toyota does not require oil change receipts. Anyways, I still have the car, and in 80,000 miles, I have replaced the engine bearings ($1500), the front right axle bearing ($1400), the AC compressor ($900), and the front left wheel bearing ($500 including alignment).

Good till the last drop
By JJ on 05/30/08 14:56 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased the car from the dealership as a certifed used car. Since then only had minimal problems with it. You know stuff like headlamps turning foggy and the Toyota logo on the steering wheel peeling off. Overall this car has been great. The car seemed to stop getting great gas mileage once it hit 100 thousand miles, and the suspension seemed to not handle so well too. But it got to 100 thousand miles before I even noticed anything lagging. Now it has 131 thousand, and I just replaced the spark plugs, the PVC valve, the O2 sensor, the belt, and the front springs and struts. In short it runs like it was new again.

Most expensive car I have ever bought
By drayton_cross on 05/09/08 12:24 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this vehicle one year used with 30,000 miles on it. At first, I enjoyed the vehicle but after the brakes went out, the transmission went out at 70,000 miles, and the interior began to peel away, I decided that the vehicle did not meet my expectations. Despite following all suggested maintenance, the vehicle continued to have serious mechanical failures. The day that the brakes went out frightened me pretty badly. Based on my experience, I don't plan on owning another Corolla.

Not a bad car, very reliable
By marcus on 08/26/05 15:45 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

After almost 4 years this has been a very reliable car, 48,000 miles so far. It is under powered, but I knew that when it was purchased. I have done nothing but change the oil every 3000 miles, engine wise. The brakes needed replaced at 20,000 miles, and are not that good. They have always felt soft. It does o.k in the snow, with just a couple inches. highway mileage 40 mpg, but city is lower than rated, I get around 27 MPG. Also it ate the factory set of tires pretty fast. The replacements are not doing bad though. It is nothing fancy but a good commuter car.

Okay, but nothing to rave about
By woods on 02/06/05 17:39 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is an okay car that gets good gas mileage. It started burning oil at around 85,000 miles, and is now going through a quart every 1,000 miles - not what I'd expect from a Toyota. It handles okay, but not as well as my '99 Ford Contour, and is really underpowered. Does not do well in snow, but it does start up reliably, even in subzero temps.

Basic Transportation
By lawoody on 10/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This corolla S is not the most exciting, but compared to my other cars (audi/bmw) is built superior. In 33K, it has required ZERO maintenance costs. Just oil changes and it gets 30mpg mix driving. The S version is much nicer and the interior is pretty good. Handling is only ok. Resale value is very high. Great student car.