Used 2002 Toyota Corolla CE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota Corolla

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

just the best
By leofreshness

2002 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

this is the best car ever. i got it at 80000 miles and now has over 100000 miles and no problems. am the 2nd owner. when i got it i had to learn to drive manual. so you now what a clutch goes through when someone uses it for the first time. and till this day it been the same clutch since it was made and its still good and soothe. great on gas i got around 36 city and 45 highway normal driving. no engine problems just great. if you want a car that gets great gas mileage, will drive past 300000 miles cheap and just pure reliable get this corolla but only a manual one. the autos are great but i believe they wont last as long . and the manual will get better mpg.

Favorite Features

really reliable. cheap parts. easy to work on. the 5speed manual transmission. no timing belt problems because there is no timing belt its a timing chain how awesome is that on a 4 cylinder car. this will make the car run better than a timing belt and save you money.

Suggested Improvements

no improvements needed. maybe i can say like a supercharger or turbo package JK.

Best car I've ever had
By joe

2002 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The title says it. Of course I change the oil and filter every 2000 miles and do all maintenance like clock work. Manual 3rd gear with this motor is the best passing gear and merging lane combination I have ever seen in 42 years of car ownership. Need to pass someone on the highway at 50 mph? Downshift to 3rd and tromp on it. Pickup is superb, and they hear you coming.

I love my little 2002 Corolla CE
By teenblac

2002 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Corolla in November of 2001 and always maintained very well. Changed the oil & filter at least twice a year, changed the plugs every 2nd year, get the antifreeze flush every 2nd or 3rd year if you lived up North like I do, and so on. Very content for my first new car and OMG, it's good on gas, appx. 45 miles/km.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy & the back spoiler 3rd brake light, etc.

Suggested Improvements

Room for legs in the back. Back truck key entry seized.

Burns Oil
By bst

2002 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This was my second Corolla and I was quite disappointed with this. My 1988 was great, had it for 243,000 miles, very few problems apart from just taking care of an older car. This one was a different story. First, made a mistake by getting the CE, things like the backseat not folding down made this a car that was of little use for things like biking, hauling, etc. But mostly, around mileage 30,000 the car has been burning oil quickly, requiring 2-3 qts of oil to be put in on any long road trip, sometimes more than once. Now, the engine has sludge in it that is not covered by the extended warranty, making this car a lemon while still under warranty. Disappointed in the car and company.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy not great but not so bad.

Suggested Improvements

Hopefully the new generation corollas have this engine problem fixed. they should probably offer a recall on these engines, as many others i've talked to have the same problem. Also, agree with cupholder problems and interior uphostlery was not installed well and stains easily.

No more American Cars for me!
By JM Tucker

2002 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Reliability is the name of the game for me my Toyo is tops! When I turn that key I want the car to start, and it always does. My 2002 Corolla is very comfortable(I'm 5'10 and about 285 lbs.) and I enjoy driving it. I have 65000 miles on my 2002 and have only had regular oil changes and scheduled maintenance. This car is very affordable to maintain. I just bought my stepson a 2005 Corolla who is in college and he loves his as well. American cars have along way to go in comparable quality.