2002 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:
This car is awesome!
By turtlelady on 05/30/14 14:37 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Corolla in 2009 with just under 72k miles on it. I had a few issues at first but had it VERY thoroughly inspected (every nook & cranny) and found out the issue (the rear brake drums had never been turned), fixed it, and haven't had a lick of trouble since. The car currently has 117k miles on it and runs like a dream. It had it's first tune-up last summer and that improved the mpg by 4, so now it gets about 36 on the highway. I plan on driving it until it finally dies. It's economical, reliable, mechanically sound, and is just an all-around great car!

Amazing value in one little car
By kevinmscott on 09/29/13 20:46 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Bought an 02 S model about 3 years ago. Abused by original owners and left for dead. Our friend at the junkyard for it working in a jiffy. My first car, college car, put some 40k long and hard freeway miles on it (it's at 180k now), replaced transmission, struts, manifold and a wheel baring, but it has never broken down on me or failed to start. I've driven it through hot Vermont summers and freezing Maine winters. This is the car I walk out to every morning and thank the Lord for. It is a car I am truly satisfied with.

Over 200k and still going
By carissab92 on 02/21/13 01:05 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

My Corolla is just reaching 244,500 miles and is still going strong. So far, the only thing I've had to replace is the normal; oil filter, air filter, tires, and brakes. I absolutely love my car and I'm glad it's lasted this long.. I know the day will come when old Rollo retires, and it will be a sad day indeed.

just the best
By leofreshness on 01/23/13 13:01 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

this is the best car ever. i got it at 80000 miles and now has over 100000 miles and no problems. am the 2nd owner. when i got it i had to learn to drive manual. so you now what a clutch goes through when someone uses it for the first time. and till this day it been the same clutch since it was made and its still good and soothe. great on gas i got around 36 city and 45 highway normal driving. no engine problems just great. if you want a car that gets great gas mileage, will drive past 300000 miles cheap and just pure reliable get this corolla but only a manual one. the autos are great but i believe they wont last as long . and the manual will get better mpg.

Old 'Rolls.
By jayqohardd on 02/04/12 03:24 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

When receiving this car as a gift at 16 years old from my mother I had never been so excited! Ever since then I have drove the car & I am now 21, & the car will be with me until it won't run anymore. From my first accident to the second one, to forgetting to change the oil, to a deer or three, to the three original hubcaps that are left, my corolla has never ever let me down. I have ran on empty far too many times than imaginable, and have never once ran out of gas. Dependable when I definitely need her to be. She is so reliable that we have named her "Old Rolls." because no matter the situation she rolls through anything. (corny I realize.)

I believe this car helped save my life....
By kdblossom on 12/20/10 11:43 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 3A)

I just totaled this car on 12/15. The car looked terrible (with damage on 4 sides). The state trooper called it a rollover but it was more of a toss around. I impacted at least 3 different times before I stopped. The car landed on the drivers side and I still can't figure out why it did not land on the roof. I walked away sore and with a bruise on my leg. The state trooper(with 20+ years experience) was amazed that I did. This car has truly proven itself in a real world crash... car has truly proven itself in a real world crash....

Some parts should be recalled
By James on 11/23/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 3A)

The door handle was broken in two years. I put two brand new catalytic converters on it the engine light comes back on again. It can not pass the annual inspection even though it still runs good with 125,000 miles on it. It's a pain to go through the inspection every year. It should last a life time.

Just purchased it at 182,256 miles!
By Devon Edwards on 10/07/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Wow, this car is amazing! I just picked up this car today and I love how it handles! and OMG 41 MPG on my particular model freaking awesome! I drove all up and down los angeles and haven't got below the "full" on my tank.

9 years and still going
By barc77 on 08/10/10 12:09 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I wrote a review about 2 years ago at 74,000 miles. Car is still running well with 94,000 miles. No issues, only routine maintenance since purchased new. No oil burning issues as others have stated. Just replaced plugs for first time (were worn but no indication of oil or other issues). The car still seems to go through brakes and tires quickly. Always starts and runs smooth. Nothing exciting but gets me to work every day without any issues. Gas mileage 28-30 mpg in mixed driving. Interior has held up very well. Acceleration is as expected for a car with 125 HP.

Should have been part of the big recall
By kdliberty on 07/23/10 16:23 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 3A)

I highly recommend you throw the driver side floor mat into the back seat like I did. After the little metal piece that holds the floor mat in place broke off I almost had a wreck! Stupid mat jammed under my accelerator. I almost did not get the car stopped and would have wrecked if the road had not been straight. Otherwise this has been an awesome car!