We're scrapping the car today.
It made it to 90k miles.
It has the following problems:
* The motor (1ZZFE) was built with a design flaw, but Toyota kept using it.
Hundreds of people on the internet have reported the same thing.
It burns oil until it hits a point where every 100 miles it burns 1 quart of oil.
The engine went bad and needed a replacement starting at 50k miles
* The catalytic converter is dead.
* The rotors are bad and braking feels choppy.
* The driver door handle simply broke off when I tried to open the door.
* The clutch went bad at 50k miles.
* Some smaller issues like a leak somewhere that mechanics couldn't find, causing repeated engine lights and EVAP codes.
The heater works well.
This car is best suited to be used as a prop in monster truck rallies.
I have the same problem with my 2001 Toyota Corolla, burns alot of oil, drivers side handle broke off, steering rod snapped in 06.
Burning oil & the door handle seem to be a common problem with the 2001. I checked the list of recalls a few years back, neither problem was on the list.
They should have been.
† Edmunds.com received the highest numerical score in the proprietary J.D. Power 2014 Third-Party Automotive Website Evaluation Study℠. Results based on responses from 3,381 responses, measuring 14 companies and measures third-party automotive website usefulness among new and used vehicle shoppers. Proprietary study results are based on experiences and perceptions of owners surveyed from January 2014. Your experiences may vary. Visit jdpower.com.