Realiable, boring, and can't handle.
By asiancarssmile on
2001 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 3A)
bought my corolla used in 2011. It had only 42k because a grandma used to own it. The gas mileage was amazing, and the acceleration was alright. The brakes didn't react well and locked up easily. I crashed because the car was too light, causing it loose control on a small swerve at about 55 mph. It hit a wall and flipped upside down. Both airbags deployed and the seat belt held on to me well. I had only scratches from glass and minor back trauma. It saved my life but it may have caused the accident as well.
Favorite Features
Gas Mileage is worth bragging about.
Suggested Improvements
Front and rear door handles cracked and broke within the first month and the left dash light went out. I changed the bulb but it still would only periodically turn on. I think it was an electrical problem. The seats (especially driver seat) were very uncomfortable. I like to sit far back but with my legs close, and I couldn't find the perfect position. Everything felt very cheap including the boring interior. No power locks or windows.
By trl52
on 02/08/12 12:56 PM (PST)

I totally agree on the car being so light that it's unsafe. I was going around a curve on the highway when the road was a little wet and I the car lost traction and spun around a bit more than 180 degrees. I miraculously stayed on the road and no one was following me close enough that they couldn't stop while I turned my car back around. I now get very nervous whenever I have to drive this car in the rain. And I'm not so sure the gas mileage is that good. Maybe there's something wrong with mine but I feel like I fill up just as often and spend just as much as my girlfriend does with her Jeep Compass, and our commute is pretty much the same.

By proeliator
on 02/11/13 22:03 PM (PST)

I've had this car for a while and I'd say that it has very forgiving handling - it can be fun and nimble when it needs to be and it will let you get out the understeer if you overcook it in the turn... Tires make a giant difference on this car especially in wet weather (you could definitely go for a 4-wheel slide if you're on worn out or bad quality tires) and I agree with post above that weight did not cause this issue.

By colinshark
on 01/11/13 15:25 PM (PST)

I'm sorry, you are both just really bad drivers. Cars cannot be "too light" to handle well. That's not a thing.