2001 Toyota Corolla Consumer Review: Worst car I've ever owned

2001 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Review

CE Sedan (1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Worst car I've ever owned
By brad_peterson on

2001 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We're scrapping the car today. It made it to 90k miles. It has the following problems: * The motor (1ZZFE) was built with a design flaw, but Toyota kept using it. Hundreds of people on the internet have reported the same thing. It burns oil until it hits a point where every 100 miles it burns 1 quart of oil. The engine went bad and needed a replacement starting at 50k miles * The catalytic converter is dead. * The rotors are bad and braking feels choppy. * The driver door handle simply broke off when I tried to open the door. * The clutch went bad at 50k miles. * Some smaller issues like a leak somewhere that mechanics couldn't find, causing repeated engine lights and EVAP codes.

The heater works well.

This car is best suited to be used as a prop in monster truck rallies.
By jmw16
on 07/31/12 00:02 AM (PDT)

I have the same problem with my 2001 Toyota Corolla, burns alot of oil, drivers side handle broke off, steering rod snapped in 06. Burning oil & the door handle seem to be a common problem with the 2001. I checked the list of recalls a few years back, neither problem was on the list. They should have been.