Used 2001 Toyota Corolla Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

2001 Toyota Corolla

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

The Economy Car that Will Last
By Mike

2001 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I own a 2001 Toyota Corolla S model with 60,000 miles on it, and the car runs like brand new. The only alteration I did was put a cold air intake, and a universal Injen Muffler on it, and the car is faster than it appears. 25% more horse power, and even better on fuel economy. Not to say it was bad before, but I needed more power from the 135 that I had before. Overall quality and reliability is what I get from this car. You never have to worry about it breaking down on the side of the road. If you ever get this car new the only negative thing is that the manufactures tires are not very good, make sure you spend some good money on some good tires, and this car will make you very happy!

Favorite Features

Excellent sound system! 15Watts @ 4 Oams. Appears like a slow car but it is very fast! Solid interior but not enough room in the 2001 Model. Needs a little more power than 135 stock, would be nice to have it close to 200. Very Maintenance Friendly

Suggested Improvements

Better Tires, and better interior design. That is all. Great Car and it is paid for!

It even autocrosses well
By Corolla DriveR

2001 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new. it now has 113,000 miles and I plan to keep it till it has about 300,000. never any mechanical problems. the original brake pads were still good when I replaced them at 100,000 miles for grippier pads for autocross. I won the regional H stock championship for 2005 in this car. not a great amount of power in the motor but it handles well. much more power than the 99 civic I traded for it. under normal use, these cars just dont break. I do have the 5 spd manual and normally get 37-42 mpg combined city/hwy. runs like a champ.

Favorite Features

smooth manual tranny

Suggested Improvements

once you replace the factory struts it transforms the car into a much better driver. install better factory struts and tires when new.

Buy it.
By Michael Templeton

2001 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Its really a great car. Almost every review is a big success. I have immensely enjoyed my 'yota. It had 67,000 mi. when I purchased it. I road- tripped out to Oregon from Michigan in April 2006 (6,200 mi. round trip) and it was a dream. Nothing went wrong with the car, we had only to change the oil once, and thats it. It never overheated, and it took on the Rockies with valiant spirit. One thing that DID go wrong though, as strange as it may sound, was that the cd player and volume knob broke. But we discovered later that SOMEHOW the volume was now fully controllable through the dashlight knob, and the headlight stick would turn the sound off and on...?? Weird. My experience earns a big nod!

Favorite Features

Comfortable drivers seat, GOOD cupholders, good field of view, tight steering radius!, decent looks, gas economy, big glove compartment, decent storage in trunk, lovely braking, good enough pickup @ lower speeds, good passing capability, awesome frigid A/C unit, good heater too, does AWESOME in snow

Suggested Improvements

I ran out of room in the favorites. As you can see, I like this car. I recommend it to anyone. My dad has golden reviews for Toyota too. His gave him 350,000 mi. FYI mine now has over 125,000 mi. and is showing no signs of giving up. More leg room? Better styled interior? More console space? V8? lol

Great Value, Reliable
By a9zn

2001 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Got this car used in 2002 & have been putting 1k mi per month on it. Gets me from point A to B w/o any hassle. Easy on the gas & my wallet. Very economical to maintain it.

Favorite Features

Excellent gas mileage on the hwy ~32; city ~ 27

Suggested Improvements

Sunroof, head room, leg room, rear passenger leg room, turbo charged engine, AWD, side airbags

Good car
By leanerneaner

2001 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have NEVER had any mechanical problems with this car. I've never had to worry about it. Acceleration is pretty bad though. It's always stressful to merge onto a freeway. Otherwise, great!

Favorite Features

Good looking car, with a smart interior set-up. GREAT gas mileage and 100% reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Leg room in the back is a joke! This car is only good for 2 adults and maybe children.