Used 2001 Toyota Corolla Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Overall a good car
By Jennifer

2001 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Corolla when it was at 12000 miles. It is at 82000 now. Just recently I had to replace a head gasket (and the interior door handle broke). While the head gasket was an expensive repair, its the first problem that I've had with the car. The steering has loosened over time, but not to the point of concern. The gas mileage is very good (although I don't seem to get as good of mileage as the LE is rated to have - 32 city, 39 highway).

The leg room in the back is pretty bad. I also would have like to have had anti-lock brakes come standard.

Love this car
By Kb

2001 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been a pleasure to own. I have had no problems with it. Would definitely buy again.

4 doors, cruise control (perfect commuting car, head and leg room (I'm 6'3"). AC kicks.

Move the wiper control further toward the dashboard. I keep hitting it with my fingers when Im turning the steering wheel! MPG. With gas getting as crazy as it is, we need better MPG. Trunk is kind of limited. It would be nice if rear seats folded flat, and the opening into the cabin was larger.

Decent car for the money
By mmckimmey

2001 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Overall, the Toyota Corolla is the basic transportation. No cruise, no ABS, and bland, boring styling. It's not bad looking, but not nearly as nice as the Civic from the same year. Outside, the car is fairly boring. The headlights are a neat shape, but that's about all I can say about the interior. This car is absolutely boring in tan. Inside, it's still boring. Tan, tan tan. The seats are fairly comfy, no complaints there. Rear legroom is a joke. Trunk space is good, enough for a long trip. Overall the car has been very reliable, mass air flow sensor is the only major thing replaced. Other normal things like timing belt, etc.

Headlights. Daytime running lights are handy.

No standard ABS on the luxury edition. No cruise. Rear legroom not great. Boring styling!

First Toyota
By XtremeBiker278

2001 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car little less than two weeks ago with only 32k miles on it, I already put on 600 miles and I am enjoying it. It has a nice looking exterior, and a plain and somewhat cramped interior. The car absorbs bumps better than some midsized and large cars I have driven before! I love the acceleration in the city and suburbs, gets a little scary on the highway though when getting up to speed, even with flooring it. The car has a very solid feel to it, and handles well, even without ABS. However, I was surprised to see that I only get mileage figures similar to what was advertised when on the highway, otherwise nowhere near which is frustrating. Minus a couple cons, however, it's great.

4 durable cup holders, good handling, clean and simple ergonomics, very roomy trunk! Good highway mileage, absorbs bumps very well, solid feeling car, the storage compartments are really coming in handy.

Louder sound system, little bit more power, put front cup holders elsewhere, more room front/back seats, make ABS standard, much better city mileage, or in my case, at least equal it to the figures shown, get rid of the goofy 5 second wait for the car to turn on dashboard lights.

Great Car
By Joe Someguy

2001 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My dad got a five year lease on a Corolla CE in 2001 and it was an amazing vehicle. He just changed the oil twice and the tires and it never gave him any problems. Its a very reliable car.

1.8 I4 is pretty powerful.

Maybe tint windows since i live here in Miami.