Used 2001 Toyota Corolla Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

guess i didnt get luck in toyota
By zbhunter

2001 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

bought the car with 75k miles on it. 9 months later the engine blew. replaced the engine and 3k miles later while driving home it caught fire in the engine area car was awsome fun to drive very cool interior but man i had bad luck

interior

A couple of hundred miles without gas!
By gsschro2

2001 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 3A)

My fiance noticed the low engine light on the car last week and had me check it. The car had less than a quart left when I changed the oil. She drove for a week before telling me so that is around 200-300 miles. Toyota quality is amazing. I cannot believe that the engine did not blow up! The rest of the car is boring but I like the car now for its toughness!

Great MPG, Amazing reliability

Realiable, boring, and can't handle.
By asiancarssmile

2001 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 3A)

bought my corolla used in 2011. It had only 42k because a grandma used to own it. The gas mileage was amazing, and the acceleration was alright. The brakes didn't react well and locked up easily. I crashed because the car was too light, causing it loose control on a small swerve at about 55 mph. It hit a wall and flipped upside down. Both airbags deployed and the seat belt held on to me well. I had only scratches from glass and minor back trauma. It saved my life but it may have caused the accident as well.

Gas Mileage is worth bragging about.

Front and rear door handles cracked and broke within the first month and the left dash light went out. I changed the bulb but it still would only periodically turn on. I think it was an electrical problem. The seats (especially driver seat) were very uncomfortable. I like to sit far back but with my legs close, and I couldn't find the perfect position. Everything felt very cheap including the boring interior. No power locks or windows.

Eh possibly my last corolla
By MMAkansas

2001 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Bought it with 77k on it, and now have 153k. Had to replace the struts... like many 2001 owners I have had a check engine light on for 3 years now... nuts, it turned itself off for 90 days and came back on, and they figure its either sensors or the catalytic converter.It's a pretty good car, but the gas mileage went from good to horrible with age. It's okay overall. The dash lights are gone now.. they don't work, and the engine idles really hard ... I hope it keeps going and going.. I aim to get 220,000 miles on it so if it does that I will be thrilled

Doesn't break down

Electronics - the dash lights went out after 10,000 miles.. or a total of 88,000 miles

Reliable and sometimes fun
By Stiggy

2001 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This is my second Corolla and it is a great every day vehicle. The only 2 times this car did not start was dead battery and when dealership overfilled it with oil. From handling and power point of view this car performs fairly well - it is easily controllable and very predictable. I found the car to be very comfortable for long rides as well, even at higher speeds the engine noise is manageable and the mileage is great.

Interior material quality (other than black seat fabric that fades), s-model steering wheel and gauges, outside air temperature gauge, Odometer A & B in addition to the main, smooth ride

I hope that current models address quality of the black fabric, material at interior door seals which peels a layer, higher power option (like civic Si), sexy hatchback option, and cleaner styling with no unnecessary bumps and curves.

• SUV