2001 Toyota Corolla Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:
Great Reliable Car!
By decator on 02/28/14 05:48 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car new in May 2001, we now have 135K miles on it and still love it! The only issues we have had to deal with was replacing the clutch at 95K (driver fault) and simple maintenance. The front brake pads lasted until 120K (I check them regularly). I still average about 31mpg when its all city driving and 36 when I commute on the highway. We could afford a new car, but I will drive this one until it's last mile, and would not hesitate to buy another. With that said it is not perfect and there are drawbacks like interior size, road noise, etc.. But I am a believer that those are little things while reliability and affordability are the things that are harder to come by.

Cheap, reliable car
By jjc839 on 01/16/12 11:19 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought used, now has 240,000km. Still has the original brakes, not a spot of rust anywhere (Canadian car) and in the winter it gets cold started twice a day every day as this is a commuter car. Haven't had a single problem with it. A little underpowered but hey its an economy car. Fuel consumption is 6l/100km in the summer and about 8l/100km in the winter.

Best Car I ever owned!
By eeyore54 on 07/01/11 15:09 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car when it had 23.000, now it has 230.000 on it and the only thing went wrong with it is I had to replace the power window motor on the drivers side after 10 yrs..

guess i didnt get luck in toyota
By zbhunter on 06/25/11 12:03 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

bought the car with 75k miles on it. 9 months later the engine blew. replaced the engine and 3k miles later while driving home it caught fire in the engine area car was awsome fun to drive very cool interior but man i had bad luck

Rockin' Rolla
By Adam on 09/19/08 22:59 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I haven't had this car very long yet but bought it because of it's reputation as a solid reliable car. And that's exactly what it is. I'm very very happy with it, just recently took it on a 11 hour drive, and it performed great. Has enough power to pass on the highway no prob...just drop it into 3rd and it's gone. I suggest the manual though, I don't think it would be so great in an automatic, but that's just me. The gas mileage is awesome! It's fun to drive for a 4 door economy car, and looks good too. The A/C works great, but really robs the engine of power. But yeah, great choice if you're looking for a reliable cheap to own car. Can't go wrong with a Toyota.

Awesome car!
By Care on 04/28/08 14:16 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Love this car! Bought it used with 86000 miles, and it is now at 200100 miles and runs like a charm. Minor maintenance needed, spark plugs, fuel injector, tires and other things. I drive about 100+miles a day and I never hve to worry about breaking down. Take care of this car and it will take care of you! I love the sporty look it has and it is compact.

The Economy Car that Will Last
By Mike on 11/15/06 18:24 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I own a 2001 Toyota Corolla S model with 60,000 miles on it, and the car runs like brand new. The only alteration I did was put a cold air intake, and a universal Injen Muffler on it, and the car is faster than it appears. 25% more horse power, and even better on fuel economy. Not to say it was bad before, but I needed more power from the 135 that I had before. Overall quality and reliability is what I get from this car. You never have to worry about it breaking down on the side of the road. If you ever get this car new the only negative thing is that the manufactures tires are not very good, make sure you spend some good money on some good tires, and this car will make you very happy!

It even autocrosses well
By Corolla DriveR on 10/26/06 13:57 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new. it now has 113,000 miles and I plan to keep it till it has about 300,000. never any mechanical problems. the original brake pads were still good when I replaced them at 100,000 miles for grippier pads for autocross. I won the regional H stock championship for 2005 in this car. not a great amount of power in the motor but it handles well. much more power than the 99 civic I traded for it. under normal use, these cars just dont break. I do have the 5 spd manual and normally get 37-42 mpg combined city/hwy. runs like a champ.

Good car
By leanerneaner on 07/14/06 11:01 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have NEVER had any mechanical problems with this car. I've never had to worry about it. Acceleration is pretty bad though. It's always stressful to merge onto a freeway. Otherwise, great!

The best college car
By DJ Latcham on 08/20/05 23:44 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car is perfect for those who want a reliable & fun car while not paying a huge sticker price. Gets great gas mileage and never gives me with a headache. The engine may be a little weak, but what do you expect from that small a car. While you don't smoke other drivers on the strip, you will definelty burn them at the pumps.