2001 Toyota Corolla Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:
Worst car I've ever owned
By brad_peterson on 07/28/12 08:21 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We're scrapping the car today. It made it to 90k miles. It has the following problems: * The motor (1ZZFE) was built with a design flaw, but Toyota kept using it. Hundreds of people on the internet have reported the same thing. It burns oil until it hits a point where every 100 miles it burns 1 quart of oil. The engine went bad and needed a replacement starting at 50k miles * The catalytic converter is dead. * The rotors are bad and braking feels choppy. * The driver door handle simply broke off when I tried to open the door. * The clutch went bad at 50k miles. * Some smaller issues like a leak somewhere that mechanics couldn't find, causing repeated engine lights and EVAP codes.

Terrible interior, terrible gas mileage
By mathues on 10/05/11 13:25 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought brand new summer 2000 (as a starving college student). My converter died early and I had terrible gas mileage. My interior has just collapsed. I mean it's a cheap car, but really, Toyota can't make an interior headliner that looks nice for at least 5 years?

Good Choice
By Beth on 01/05/10 08:25 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My Toyota Corolla is a reliable, fun to drive vehicle. It is easy to maneuver, holds to the road, gets good gas mileage, and maintenance has been minimum.

OK Car
By yoyo on 11/09/08 19:20 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The 2001 corolla is about as boring of a car as you can get. Too bad the 2002 made major improvements. I have had this car since it was bought brand new and still drives fine with some minor mechanical problems. The check engine light has been on many many times. I think the interior is OK quality and there are not any bells and whistles at all. Also, I noticed that not just my car, but many Corollas like mine are missing hubcaps or have aftermarket ones. That tells me the interior quality isn't great either. The fuel economy definitely does not reach 41mpg on the highway. Overall, it is just a mediocre car in my mind.

Great Car
By Joe Someguy on 01/07/07 18:26 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My dad got a five year lease on a Corolla CE in 2001 and it was an amazing vehicle. He just changed the oil twice and the tires and it never gave him any problems. Its a very reliable car.

Great Value, Reliable
By a9zn on 08/29/06 22:05 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Got this car used in 2002 & have been putting 1k mi per month on it. Gets me from point A to B w/o any hassle. Easy on the gas & my wallet. Very economical to maintain it.

Not a performer
By Chicago on 03/16/06 17:40 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Had it for 2 years. Compare to the same year civic, civic is much better performer: transmision + handling is way better then toyota's. Well corolla is not a performer, but it gets you from point a to b.

Best and ONLY small car to buy!
By 37K and no issues! on 09/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car in June 2001 and to date, we have 37,000 miles on it with NO PROBLEMS AT ALL.

Good Starter Car
By NITSEY on 08/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had other toyota products in the past, but they were all older, so i decided to bite the bullet and buy a fairly new used 2001 corolla CE. the car look good from the front, but i find that the rear end is a little plain. the performance is fine, personally i will sacrifice performance for fuel economy any day. GOOD STARTER CAR THAT WILL BE WORTH SOMETHING WHEN I AM FINISHED PAYING FOR IT.

Terrific car for 10K
By FryBoyJIB on 03/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this as my first car in January. It does a great job of getting me to an from work six days a week. I love the build quality and interior fit and finish. The engine is very rev happy and the three speed auto does just fine. Interior room is just fine for two average adults with the back seat used for storage. I don't mind the so-called "plain vanilla" of the 2001 Corolla, for the simple reason that cars with "personality" (i/e the 2001 Celica) are "very ugly" and "overpriced". The dealer (Toyota of Killeen) took forever and a day (Two months) to get me a new registartion sticker for this car, but that is not Toyota's fault.