2001 Toyota Corolla Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:
Ideal City Car
By mrenz83 on 05/19/14 09:01 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I live in NYC, and find this vehicle to be the ideal city car. The combination of excellent reliability, compact-size and great maneuverability make this car a winner. Between the horrible pothole ridden roads, stop and go traffic, excessive idling, and near-constant sudden breaking and my aggressive driving -- this car takes a beating, However, in spite of the abuse, my Corolla starts up every time - and continues to run stronger than ever. I currently have 140k on the car, and even with the abuse it takes from city driving fully expect it to last another 100k. I average about 6k miles driver a year, so I anticipate driving this car for the next 10+ years.

Great Reliable Car!
By decator on 02/28/14 05:48 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car new in May 2001, we now have 135K miles on it and still love it! The only issues we have had to deal with was replacing the clutch at 95K (driver fault) and simple maintenance. The front brake pads lasted until 120K (I check them regularly). I still average about 31mpg when its all city driving and 36 when I commute on the highway. We could afford a new car, but I will drive this one until it's last mile, and would not hesitate to buy another. With that said it is not perfect and there are drawbacks like interior size, road noise, etc.. But I am a believer that those are little things while reliability and affordability are the things that are harder to come by.

Great Deal
By iadara on 06/15/13 14:30 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I just recently purchased my '01 Corolla S automatic for way under blue book with 116K miles on it and couldn't be happier. The handling, turn radius and overall feel of the car is so much more luxurious than that of my 1986 Corolla that I traded in years ago with 281K miles on it. Weird thing though was as soon as I got into the vehicle, it felt like I was sitting back in my 1986 model. Toyota has pretty much kept all the dials and switches in the same place, except for the radio, so I didn't have to "learn" anything new. Love the sunroof, the engine is super quiet and even though the exterior is typical Toyota boring, the interior is very nice. I'm happy with it.

If it breaks down i will go buy the SAME CARE AGAIN SAME YR!
By asad9 on 02/16/13 12:31 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

bought it from a used dealer, 137k in 2009. 4yrs later its at 230k. Good on gas, no break downs, just needs gas and oil change. Manage your fluids. Toronto (401 and VP) to niagra on probably 6-7 gas. Friends tell me its ugly, but i tell them there ugly!

Great Car
By gorzo55 on 01/21/13 10:12 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2001 Corolla used in 2003 with 40k miles. It now has 120k miles and is still my primary car. No engine problems that others have reported. My catalytic converter was replaced at 115k though. I've done by the book maintenance and have had no major problems. The only big repairs I've had were break issues that were my fault from overly aggressive city driving. I'm not sure about what others have said about burning oil...I haven't noticed it but I know little about cars. This car gets better gas mileage than the current Corolla models. I once drove from Pittsburgh to Indianapolis on one tank.

Long term owner
By tcle2001 on 08/30/12 10:40 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased a used LE in 2001 with 17k miles. I now have 170k miles on the odometer. The cost of ownership for this vehicle has been good despite my car suffering from many of the woes documented by others. The major concern is the engine. Despite by the book maintenance my engine expired at 146k miles. Premature piston ring wear leads to piston slap and eventually a broken wrist pin. I also have the continuous CEL. A note to other owners, if your fuel economy deteriorates, change the mass air flow sensor. It is a cheap and easy fix. I also had the broken door handle and the sagging headliner. At the end of the day it is cheap tranportation.

Worst car I've ever owned
By brad_peterson on 07/28/12 08:21 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We're scrapping the car today. It made it to 90k miles. It has the following problems: * The motor (1ZZFE) was built with a design flaw, but Toyota kept using it. Hundreds of people on the internet have reported the same thing. It burns oil until it hits a point where every 100 miles it burns 1 quart of oil. The engine went bad and needed a replacement starting at 50k miles * The catalytic converter is dead. * The rotors are bad and braking feels choppy. * The driver door handle simply broke off when I tried to open the door. * The clutch went bad at 50k miles. * Some smaller issues like a leak somewhere that mechanics couldn't find, causing repeated engine lights and EVAP codes.

Cheap, reliable car
By jjc839 on 01/16/12 11:19 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought used, now has 240,000km. Still has the original brakes, not a spot of rust anywhere (Canadian car) and in the winter it gets cold started twice a day every day as this is a commuter car. Haven't had a single problem with it. A little underpowered but hey its an economy car. Fuel consumption is 6l/100km in the summer and about 8l/100km in the winter.

Terrible interior, terrible gas mileage
By mathues on 10/05/11 13:25 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought brand new summer 2000 (as a starving college student). My converter died early and I had terrible gas mileage. My interior has just collapsed. I mean it's a cheap car, but really, Toyota can't make an interior headliner that looks nice for at least 5 years?

Best Car I ever owned!
By eeyore54 on 07/01/11 15:09 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car when it had 23.000, now it has 230.000 on it and the only thing went wrong with it is I had to replace the power window motor on the drivers side after 10 yrs..