Used 2001 Toyota Corolla Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Corolla Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Ideal City Car
By mrenz83

2001 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I live in NYC, and find this vehicle to be the ideal city car. The combination of excellent reliability, compact-size and great maneuverability make this car a winner. Between the horrible pothole ridden roads, stop and go traffic, excessive idling, and near-constant sudden breaking and my aggressive driving -- this car takes a beating, However, in spite of the abuse, my Corolla starts up every time - and continues to run stronger than ever. I currently have 140k on the car, and even with the abuse it takes from city driving fully expect it to last another 100k. I average about 6k miles driver a year, so I anticipate driving this car for the next 10+ years.

Excellent fuel economy. Top notch reliability. Good stereo system for an economy car. Cheap replacement parts. Very low cost of repair at the shop. Easy car for DIY maintenance.

Mass Airflow Sensor issues, there should be a recall issued for this. Suspension is a bit soft.

Great Reliable Car!
By decator

2001 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car new in May 2001, we now have 135K miles on it and still love it! The only issues we have had to deal with was replacing the clutch at 95K (driver fault) and simple maintenance. The front brake pads lasted until 120K (I check them regularly). I still average about 31mpg when its all city driving and 36 when I commute on the highway. We could afford a new car, but I will drive this one until it's last mile, and would not hesitate to buy another. With that said it is not perfect and there are drawbacks like interior size, road noise, etc.. But I am a believer that those are little things while reliability and affordability are the things that are harder to come by.

Gas mileage, still love the exterior look, reliability, 5-speed acceleration, great commuter.

Road noise, more room in back seat, fold down rear seat for access to trunk

Great Deal
By iadara

2001 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I just recently purchased my '01 Corolla S automatic for way under blue book with 116K miles on it and couldn't be happier. The handling, turn radius and overall feel of the car is so much more luxurious than that of my 1986 Corolla that I traded in years ago with 281K miles on it. Weird thing though was as soon as I got into the vehicle, it felt like I was sitting back in my 1986 model. Toyota has pretty much kept all the dials and switches in the same place, except for the radio, so I didn't have to "learn" anything new. Love the sunroof, the engine is super quiet and even though the exterior is typical Toyota boring, the interior is very nice. I'm happy with it.

Sunroof, automatic transmission, interior roominess.

Tighten up the suspension as it feels a little squishy, make the turn signals a bit louder, relocate the radio down lower in the dashboard.

If it breaks down i will go buy the SAME CARE AGAIN SAME YR!
By asad9

2001 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

bought it from a used dealer, 137k in 2009. 4yrs later its at 230k. Good on gas, no break downs, just needs gas and oil change. Manage your fluids. Toronto (401 and VP) to niagra on probably 6-7 gas. Friends tell me its ugly, but i tell them there ugly!

reliability and gas consump

I can live with it, foot space in the back. May just a tiny bit better styling. I am 5'11 and no problems sitting in the front driving. If give alot of people a ride driving 5 it gets tight. BUT hey they can take the bus if they don't like it.

Great Car
By gorzo55

2001 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2001 Corolla used in 2003 with 40k miles. It now has 120k miles and is still my primary car. No engine problems that others have reported. My catalytic converter was replaced at 115k though. I've done by the book maintenance and have had no major problems. The only big repairs I've had were break issues that were my fault from overly aggressive city driving. I'm not sure about what others have said about burning oil...I haven't noticed it but I know little about cars. This car gets better gas mileage than the current Corolla models. I once drove from Pittsburgh to Indianapolis on one tank.

Dash board looks like something Fisher Price would make.