Used 2001 Toyota Corolla LE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

2001 Toyota Corolla

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Not the Toyata Quality I Have Known
By Yogasong44

2001 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used with 30,00 miles on it and have had regular maintenance performed. Have have had a few major problems that were costly to repair. Common Toyota problem, per my body shop guy: the door handle mechanism broke requiring $800 repair. My body shop guy says he sees about 15 Toyotas a year that have this problem; from Corollas to Avalons and Toyota hasn't done any recall. My roof paint is chipping and is rusted, so poor paint quality because no accidents to account for this. I fear this repair. My gas mileage is only about 24 city, 32 highway. I've always owned Toyotas and have enjoyed them, and this is my only mediocre one, but makes me want to go Honda next time around.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats for a small car. Handles well with smooth steering control.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holder is in a very inconvenient location: in front of the eject area for the CD player, so you can't have a cup in the holder and load a CD at the same time. Opening from trunk to the folded down back seats is too small for what it could be.

Great Car
By JB

2001 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I was spending $320/mo. in gas at the time I purchased this vehicle, so there were two things I looked for in my vehicle: reliability and gas mileage. This is the premium package for both. I drive my car all the time and living 30 minutes from work I only spend about $100/mo. in gas now. I recently took a small road trip in 530 miles, I used 15 gallons of gas! So I averaged at 35 mpg! I could improve this number by getting a tune up, an oil change, and inflating my tires. I also used my air conditioner most of the way and drove at about 75 mpg. Not bad.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, reliability, roomy for a compact, nice front end design, comfortable, great A/C and heat, good drive.

Suggested Improvements

Apparently rear seat comfort (as I was told by a passenger). Rear end design is ugly in my opinion.

Reliable transportation
By downsb

2001 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car is a very reliable economy car. That being said, the 'economy' part should speak for itself in terms of interior room, comfort, etc. Short on inside space and features, but fairly easy to customize or add to. Small but fairly peppy 1.8L engine gets me an average of 34 mpg, and as high as 41. Excellent turning radius, and very good at maneuvering in heavy traffic, as well as very good field of view. Perfect for a small commuter car. Excellent for students, as it's fairly inexpensive to repair in most cases (for a foreign vehicle). Only complaint is that it has a problem with oil consumption.

Favorite Features

Excellent gas mileage; extremely reliable; fairly easy to customize/upgrade; most parts are easily found (replacements/upgrades).

Suggested Improvements

Change placement of cupholders, center console open on side instead of from front, solid boot around e-brake (have dropped things inside it on accident when have missed the center console).

Fun Car to Drive
By Hal

2001 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car used in 2005 and has given me nothing by outstanding service. Put some Hankook tires on it about a year ago and it made all the difference in the ride and handling of the car. Passing is a breeze with the peppy engine.

Favorite Features

Short turning radius, great AC, great handling with upgraded tires. Very reliable. High field of vision, very little blind spots. Power sunroof

Suggested Improvements

More leg room in back.

2001 Toyota Corolla
By hampton careen

2001 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Car has been a good experience, good mileage, good service, will recommend the car to all my friends.

Favorite Features

Peppy and fast.

Suggested Improvements

Comfort and more room.