Used 2000 Toyota Corolla VE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Toyota Corolla Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Slightly disappointed
By jds2805

2000 Toyota Corolla Sedan VE 4dr Sedan

Perhaps I got a dud but I was disappointed. I kept up all maintanence. But at 194k miles the transmission went out, shocks went out, gasket blew and alternator died. 194k miles for a Toyota is to soon for transmission and engine problems. Especially since the early 90s models are going 250k+ miles with no problems. It did get great gas mileage and maintanence was cheap. I'd still take Toyota over Ford or Dodge any day.

Very Economical
By ali

2000 Toyota Corolla Sedan VE 4dr Sedan

I have the 2000 VE corolla with the 4sp automatic and I just wanted to day that it's been a wonderful tough car. Drove on deep Canadian snow, hot humid summer days and in heavy thunderstorms and it always got me there. It's been 10 years and 200,000 miles and people say the car specially the interior doesn't look ten years old and it doesn't have the stench that other old cars do. Planning to run it down another 60,000 miles before buying a new corolla. The tranny and engine combo on this car is great and I love the fact that u can disable overdrive, helps u accelerate quickly on highway and when your done turn it back on and u can cruise quietly at 60mph. This Cars ride is really soft too.

I loved the 4 speed transmission with over-drive off feature. Makes for quick acceleration and engine braking. Fuel mileage is good but could be better I average 28 mpg mostly city.

This 2zz engine has a lot of potential and Toyota should tune it to 180hp or at least 160hp similar to the how it performed on the '05 XRS model. Please improve interior material, it feels too cheap. Expand leg room and make telescopic steering standard.

Oil Burner
By Oil Burner

2000 Toyota Corolla Sedan VE 4dr Sedan

This car has 220,000 miles on it and consumes tons of oil. Weekly it will "use" 2 qts. of oil. It doesn't leak, it doesn't smoke... so where does it go? I just refill it and go. This car is stout and handles very well except in the snow. 220,000 miles and it is still strong. I just have to buy stock in an oil distribution company. Nothing beats Toyota!

Gas Mileage, reliability.

Overdrive and anti-lock brakes standard.

Disappointed
By Chris

2000 Toyota Corolla Sedan VE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new because I have always heard about Toyota dependability. Gas was never 30 mpg as advertised. I have had problems with the oil. Several times, the oil light would not be on but when I checked it or the oil was changed, nothing showed on the stick. I have had the engine checked several times but they did not detect any leak. Finally, someone determined the valve cover gasket was leaking. Now I have had the valve cover gasket changed several times to no avail--I put in oil almost every time I use it. Also inside handles on all 4 doors have broken off. I have owned some pretty old cars, but never had all the door handles break off. I would not buy it again.

No favorite features. Not many features on a VE model.

I love my corolla!
By Lee

2000 Toyota Corolla Sedan VE 4dr Sedan

I totaled my new '98 corolla my freshman year of college (I wasn't hurt a bit though). We replaced it with 2000 corolla. I loved both cars. My little white "curla" has lasted me more than I would imagine. I drove it all through college, back and forth to work, and now, 9 years later, I have a carseat for my little boy in there, and commute 150 miles/day. And it's still just right for me. I have over 200,000 miles on it, have rear ended someone, hit a deer, and it's still tickin. Plus, I'm not looking to get rid of it any time soon, and when I do, I just might look at another corolla.

Great gas mileage. Lately it's getting 27-30 mpg

I have manual everything, except transmission. It's all lasted fine, but next time, I might upgrade to power locks, and maybe a sunroof. :)