2000 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:
Slightly disappointed
By jds2805 on 08/31/12 18:11 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Corolla VE 4dr Sedan

Perhaps I got a dud but I was disappointed. I kept up all maintanence. But at 194k miles the transmission went out, shocks went out, gasket blew and alternator died. 194k miles for a Toyota is to soon for transmission and engine problems. Especially since the early 90s models are going 250k+ miles with no problems. It did get great gas mileage and maintanence was cheap. I'd still take Toyota over Ford or Dodge any day.

Very Economical
By ali on 03/08/10 09:51 AM (PST)

2000 Toyota Corolla VE 4dr Sedan

I have the 2000 VE corolla with the 4sp automatic and I just wanted to day that it's been a wonderful tough car. Drove on deep Canadian snow, hot humid summer days and in heavy thunderstorms and it always got me there. It's been 10 years and 200,000 miles and people say the car specially the interior doesn't look ten years old and it doesn't have the stench that other old cars do. Planning to run it down another 60,000 miles before buying a new corolla. The tranny and engine combo on this car is great and I love the fact that u can disable overdrive, helps u accelerate quickly on highway and when your done turn it back on and u can cruise quietly at 60mph. This Cars ride is really soft too.

Oil Burner
By Oil Burner on 06/11/09 19:46 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Corolla VE 4dr Sedan

This car has 220,000 miles on it and consumes tons of oil. Weekly it will "use" 2 qts. of oil. It doesn't leak, it doesn't smoke... so where does it go? I just refill it and go. This car is stout and handles very well except in the snow. 220,000 miles and it is still strong. I just have to buy stock in an oil distribution company. Nothing beats Toyota!

Disappointed
By Chris on 06/09/09 13:45 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Corolla VE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new because I have always heard about Toyota dependability. Gas was never 30 mpg as advertised. I have had problems with the oil. Several times, the oil light would not be on but when I checked it or the oil was changed, nothing showed on the stick. I have had the engine checked several times but they did not detect any leak. Finally, someone determined the valve cover gasket was leaking. Now I have had the valve cover gasket changed several times to no avail--I put in oil almost every time I use it. Also inside handles on all 4 doors have broken off. I have owned some pretty old cars, but never had all the door handles break off. I would not buy it again.

I love my corolla!
By Lee on 01/28/09 14:20 PM (PST)

2000 Toyota Corolla VE 4dr Sedan

I totaled my new '98 corolla my freshman year of college (I wasn't hurt a bit though). We replaced it with 2000 corolla. I loved both cars. My little white "curla" has lasted me more than I would imagine. I drove it all through college, back and forth to work, and now, 9 years later, I have a carseat for my little boy in there, and commute 150 miles/day. And it's still just right for me. I have over 200,000 miles on it, have rear ended someone, hit a deer, and it's still tickin. Plus, I'm not looking to get rid of it any time soon, and when I do, I just might look at another corolla.

It is what it is
By Mark on 12/06/08 22:41 PM (PST)

2000 Toyota Corolla VE 4dr Sedan

I have the stripped down VE model. Few bells or whistles. The interior is carefully laid out and only wish there was an arm rest. I agree with others that the 3 speed automatic is not the best choice, especially if you do a lot of hwy miles. Still, for reliable and basic transportation it shines.

Oil Burner
By Larry Bowman on 08/08/08 13:14 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Corolla VE 4dr Sedan

Purchased car with 93K on it. Had owned five previous Toyotas and ran most of them past 200K. This one is an oil burner - uses 1 quart per 400 miles. Toyota does not recognize that it is a design defect although it seems to be very prevalent in these cars (98-2002 Corollas). If you are looking to purchase one - be sure to check the exhaust pipe for excessive black soot and look in the oil filler cap for oil sludge (check underside of cap for black crumbly deposits and look inside oil filler for brown coating - if it has these features I recommend to stay away from it). Also the engine light just came on - not sure yet what this problem is. Struts are worn out as well.

gets the job done perfectly
By Joe on 09/29/05 12:36 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Corolla VE 4dr Sedan

This car is great. It goes forever on a tank of gas and has enough room for all of my hockey gear. I can pick 3 of my smaller friends and bring them with me anywhere. Sometimes I wish the engine was a little bit more sporty, but it has got enough juice to make a pass without a problem, but it won't win any races. It has lots of little pieces that rattle, like the door locks and window crank.

Toyota - beware of their engine problem
By Ying Li on 07/07/05 17:47 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Corolla VE 4dr Sedan

I used to have great faith on Toyota until I realized my 42 K mile 5 year old toyota has an engine problem that is truly a manufacture defect! I bought it when it was 17 K miles. In May 05, I noticed oil light on and checked there was NO oil left in my engine at all. Immediately I took it to a very good car repair place and changed oil and they did not detect any leak. The assumption then was the previous oil change was not done properly; then 6 weeks later (yesterday) the oil light came back on and same issue - NO OIL in the car. I am not very pleased with the engine problem but it seems to me Toyota won't do anything about it which is unacceptable.

Cheap, Reliable, and Efficient
By SK on 01/24/05 23:04 PM (PST)

2000 Toyota Corolla VE 4dr Sedan

Not having a lot of money and needing a reliable and efficient car, I bought the most basic Corolla. I doubt I could have gotten more value for my money from another new car. The car has 57500 miles now, and the only problem I had was burnt-out check engine indicator (promptly fixed by the dealer under the manufacturer's warranty). The car handles very well, has very good angles (I can make a U-turn almost anywhere), and can fit into almost any parking spot. It has a decent acceleration (w/ manual transmission) and is comfortable at freeway speeds (passable even at 85-90 mph if needed). It gives me a great gas mileage -- upto 40mpg on the freeway and 27-33 in the city.