1999 Toyota Corolla 1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Great reliable car. I recommend

1999 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Review

VE Sedan (1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Great reliable car. I recommend it!
By tobias on

1999 Toyota Corolla VE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car about 3.5 years ago when I was in college. It's been the only car I've owned. I wanted a car that would be reliable and not cost me much to maintain and that it has been! I have almost 100,000 miles on it. I just replaced the front brakes, but otherwise just basic maintenance. It's the VE which is VERY stripped down...doesn't even have intermittent whippers (I joke that the whippers have 2 speeds, fast and faster). The engine is loud on the highway, and I can tell the difference in pick up when I have passengers. But those are my biggest complaints. Overall I love this car!

Favorite Features

Headlights automatically turn on/off, lots of trunk space, handles well even in snow (as long as the snow isn't too deep), fun to drive, does well in the cold, very low maintenance.

Suggested Improvements

Light in the trunk, sit a little higher, quieter engine, I've started having a few electrical problems on my dash...the light behind the AC controls is out and the seatbelt light flashes even when I'm buckled.