1999 Toyota Corolla 1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - You Get Your Money's Worth

1999 Toyota Corolla Sedan - Consumer Review

You Get Your Money's Worth
By Dr. Storch on

1999 Toyota Corolla VE 4dr Sedan

This is the second 99 VE I have owned. The first one was totaled with 112K on the ODO and that car needed nothing. My current VE was purchased three years ago with 69K on the ODO. I now have 165K on the ODO and I only had to replace the alternator and the usual things like a battery and tires. The only problem I have now is that the CEL comes on indicating a problem within the EVAP system. This can be costly to repair. The car is now burning about a quart of oil every 500 miles. I always change the oil every 5k and listen to what my mechanic tells me. I happen to have a very honest mechanic which is very hard to find! If I can find one to replace this one for the right $ I will!

Favorite Features

This is a bare bones car. If you want the fancy extras, go for the CE or LE.

Suggested Improvements

Considering this is a bare bones car, there is not much to ask for. The only thing I would like to have is OD on the 3spd automatic. If you want a light in your trunk, get one of the LED stick on lights at the autoparts store. Toyota has had EVAp issues with these cars and should fix the defects.