1999 Toyota Corolla Consumer Review: I must have got the lemon

1999 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Review

VE Sedan (1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

I must have got the lemon
By Jason on

1999 Toyota Corolla VE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car because of its reputation with reliability and good fuel economy. I put aside my thirst for a sporty car and decided this car would be more practical. However, this car has had the craziest electrical problems. With only 80,000 miles on the car, while driving on the highway, the speedometer dies and the transmission will not shift out of first gear. It only happens in the summer if it has been sitting in the sun, or if I am driving on the highway in the winter with the heater on, so heat is obviously a factor. No mechanic has been able to fix it and I have spent around 1,000 dollars trying to get this problem fixed.

Great fuel economy. Everyone talks about how reliable these cars are, I guess I got a lemon.

The plastic interior in the car is terrible. The cup holders are made out of a foam that tears easily. The door covering my center console has broken off and my arm rest compartment does not open or shut properly.