Used 1999 Toyota Corolla Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

used car
By eugenio von elsner

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

it is in good conditions , it has air conditioning and heating and good painting

Most reliable car I've ever had!
By sockem_dog

1999 Toyota Corolla VE 4dr Sedan

There's nothing fun or flashy about this car... but it holds up so well you don't care about that. I had the original brakes replaced at 115,000 miles and there was still plenty left on them. This car has been through hot and cold weather and never a problem. If you want reliability, get this car.

Reliability, gas milage.

Toyota really stripped down the VE model to the bone. It came without a lot of accessories that would have been nice.

Great car!
By lauree

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

This is my second Corolla, and wouldn't buy anything but a Toyota. These cars are extremely reliable. With just under 100000 miles, I've only had to change my starter, and that was a few months ago.

Gas mileage is great! Very dependable.

Excellent commuter
By FredJ

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

The Corolla has generally been a strong car. It's smooth, refined and suprisingly quick. The fuel economy is outstanding, over 37 mpg on the highway with an automatic. The interior is comfortable, although rear legroom is an issue. The feature list is . . . odd. This is probably due to the practice of adding packages, but my wife often chides me for having a car with power doors and windows, cruise, a/c, alarm and keyless entry, but no tachometer or power mirrors. The cruise control stalk occasionally brushes my knee during low speed turns, but this isn't dangerous. Taller drivers may encounter this problem.

Excellent build quality. The interior is simple, yet not as spartan as that of a Civic. Ample power, safety and intuitive controls. The driver can operate most essential controls without removing a hand from the steering wheel.

One potentially serious problem: some 1999 Corollas may have problems with fuel injectors. Two failed on my car, and without my service contract, this would have led to a pricey fix. I don't believe that this is a common issue, but Toyota is aware of the problem.

Daughter's first car
By alshoe

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

Just purchased this car for our daughter used within the last week. It has 57,000 miles. Was looking for a reliable car, good safety rating and easy to drive. The Corolla definately fits this description. It has the 4 spd automatic, power windows and door locks. It has a pretty peppy 4 cylinder engine and expect good fuel economy. Climate controls work well. Should be a good car for our daughter.

Contrasting dials on the dashboard black on light background, contrast to red on black background at night. Daytime running lights and sensor to automatically turn on head lights.

ABS was an option on this model, which it does not have. Cruise control would be nice too which may have been available only on the LE model.