Used 1999 Toyota Corolla VE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Toyota Corolla Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Car of the century
By dorell

1999 Toyota Corolla Sedan VE 4dr Sedan

I'm happy with Corolla I got, because is very reliable, no ifs and buts about it. Also is excellent in gas mileage department, especially for the size of the car. I'm a tall guy, and I fit inside, just enough to be happy with it. A little smaller, and it would be a different opinion, and I'm 6"1. Another thing I didn't know about this car, is, that is very cheap to fix too, for an import. Easy access to all car parts, and also it has an amazingly big trunk. What can I say, except that I will try to upgrade the year of it, and that I recommend it , to all people, and more to ones that do a lot of driving to work every day.

High mileage out of a gas tank. Sharp turning.

I would like to have the steering wheel tilt feature and more selections for the wiper's delayed speeds.

Most Reliable Car ever Made!!
By dblock1283

1999 Toyota Corolla Sedan VE 4dr Sedan

This 1999 corolla is absolutely amazing. More reliable than any Honda I've owned. 200,000 miles, I've put on 40k of them in 2 years and only have done oil changes. The car is way more comfortable than civic or integra of same year, ride is smooth and power is sufficient.

Super reliable, never have to fix it (except the inside door handles, but those are easy and cheap!)

Inside door handles is the ONLY part of the car that breaks

Beauty in the eyes of the beholder
By kenwid1988

1999 Toyota Corolla Sedan VE 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1999 Corolla VE out of desperation. Needed something to replace my 1993 Accord with almost 300K miles (no kidding). I wish I would have taken my time, because I'm not loco for this car. It is too basic. I bought it in Nov. 2007 with 76K miles for $9K! I felt it was too much, but OMG it was a Toyota. Quality this, quality that. Yeah, this car can take a beating, and still run its little sluggish heart. But it is ugly in the back LOL! It looks mad as hell in the back with it's squinting eye taillight design LOL! It's probably mad that it can't perform worth words I cannot say at church. If ANYTHING, get an LE model and not the VE, at least you can have power everything. VERY LEAST!

Hmmm... It can start up?

Too late, this model is long gone!

You Get Your Money's Worth
By Dr. Storch

1999 Toyota Corolla Sedan VE 4dr Sedan

This is the second 99 VE I have owned. The first one was totaled with 112K on the ODO and that car needed nothing. My current VE was purchased three years ago with 69K on the ODO. I now have 165K on the ODO and I only had to replace the alternator and the usual things like a battery and tires. The only problem I have now is that the CEL comes on indicating a problem within the EVAP system. This can be costly to repair. The car is now burning about a quart of oil every 500 miles. I always change the oil every 5k and listen to what my mechanic tells me. I happen to have a very honest mechanic which is very hard to find! If I can find one to replace this one for the right $ I will!

This is a bare bones car. If you want the fancy extras, go for the CE or LE.

Considering this is a bare bones car, there is not much to ask for. The only thing I would like to have is OD on the 3spd automatic. If you want a light in your trunk, get one of the LED stick on lights at the autoparts store. Toyota has had EVAp issues with these cars and should fix the defects.

Great reliable car. I recommend it!
By tobias

1999 Toyota Corolla Sedan VE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car about 3.5 years ago when I was in college. It's been the only car I've owned. I wanted a car that would be reliable and not cost me much to maintain and that it has been! I have almost 100,000 miles on it. I just replaced the front brakes, but otherwise just basic maintenance. It's the VE which is VERY stripped down...doesn't even have intermittent whippers (I joke that the whippers have 2 speeds, fast and faster). The engine is loud on the highway, and I can tell the difference in pick up when I have passengers. But those are my biggest complaints. Overall I love this car!

Headlights automatically turn on/off, lots of trunk space, handles well even in snow (as long as the snow isn't too deep), fun to drive, does well in the cold, very low maintenance.

Light in the trunk, sit a little higher, quieter engine, I've started having a few electrical problems on my dash...the light behind the AC controls is out and the seatbelt light flashes even when I'm buckled.