1999 Toyota Corolla Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:
Could not kill it!
By themanindbox on 05/22/13 15:37 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Well, I owned a 99 corolla from new until 2005 when I sold it for 4 grand. At that point it had a little over 315K miles on it, didn't burn oil, no lights, and everything that was in it worked. I had to replace oil every 3k miles, but that is about it. It handled better then a civic, got better mpg, and was faster off the line, not to mention cheaper to insure. I would love to get my hands on a 99 corolla with a blown motor with the options I had in mine, it is a perfect candidate for a 2zz swap. I have owned over 18 cars in my life, and nothing on the planet will take a beating like a Toyota. Not Honda, and nothing American can come close.

This car is amazing!
By rodnygil on 04/27/10 15:14 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this Corolla for 500 dollars with 60,000 from someone who hit a tree and left the car to sit in an alley. I purchased a new front bumper, headlights and windshield and fixed the car. I am still driving the car 3 years later and have put 70,000 miles later. The car runs strong, I have only bought tires, oil changes and a battery. This car is amazing and is great on gas. The car is a bit slow especially when merging on the freeway but what does a person expect from a Corolla. I will buy another Corolla without hesitation. Thank You Toyota. I love my cheap little car.

I must have got the lemon
By Jason on 07/23/09 22:21 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car because of its reputation with reliability and good fuel economy. I put aside my thirst for a sporty car and decided this car would be more practical. However, this car has had the craziest electrical problems. With only 80,000 miles on the car, while driving on the highway, the speedometer dies and the transmission will not shift out of first gear. It only happens in the summer if it has been sitting in the sun, or if I am driving on the highway in the winter with the heater on, so heat is obviously a factor. No mechanic has been able to fix it and I have spent around 1,000 dollars trying to get this problem fixed.

Very Reliable
By kctoyotaowner on 06/18/09 09:23 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2000 after my H.S. graduation. I wanted something that would last me longer than a typical first car. I got what I wanted! This vehicle has carried me through several moves, college, and now a daily commute in my career. It handles well in snow and ice and have never had any issues with the A/C and heating. I have replaced the struts, tires, battery, and brakes - everything to be expected. I'm at 100,000+ and still going! Some loss of pickup with passengers but overall, a great car.

Reliable and Excellent Corolla
By Ennio Popol on 02/24/07 13:03 PM (PST)

1999 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Very Comfortable and reliable car with excellent safety. This car has already 7 years and the engine really bright with power and economy. For me the more important thing is the reliabilty about it. The main maintenance that I made to the car was to change the clutch just 2 months ago. This is a really, really, really good car, cheap to maintenance.

Yup
By Gster on 05/23/06 20:11 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

This car is very good for driving distances. The gas mileage, I am happy with. The handling is pretty good. The only drawback, really, is the pick-up. The car does not accelerate quickly. That is really the only thing I would change. Its a great "school" care and one that will last you for a long time. I put about 22,000 miles since I got it in 2003 and have not (knock on wood) had any problems with it. Its a great car for the price. They could (which I think they did for 2007) make it a little sportier, for us young adults. Overall, don't pass it up for at least a test drive. The compartments and layout of the digits and the dashboard are great.

Great Car
By Great Car on 03/23/06 21:17 PM (PST)

1999 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I have had my car for 5 years now and just bought it at lease-end. I love it. It now has almost 75k miles on it and I have never had to fix anything. I considered buying another car at the end of the lease but I was afraid that not another car would live up to it, so I bought it out instead. This car may not look that exciting but the pick up is exceptional.

Takes a Licking-keeps on ticking
By You Got it TOYota on 08/31/05 04:13 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

We got this little toyota 99 le 4 door from a party that had got it from a salvage yard. At 72k miles it got hit on the pass. quarter panel, trunk, and rear bumper. It was repaired, you can't even tell it was ever in an accident. It drives like a dream, and don't have to tell you that 30+ mpg is excellent these days. So not only is it a great car, but it can take a hit. Esp. since it has side and front air bags in the le model...Go for it, Toyota !!1

can't go wrong
By loyal_driver on 07/01/05 01:03 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Bought mine as a left over in early 2000 -- somebody had returned it with about 2,000 miles logged and traded up. Has nearly all the options except (alas) ABS. It now has close to 80k miles on it and nothing has ever broken. I love this car, and it has convinced me that when the time comes that I have to pry myself away from it, only another Toyota (Lexus/Scion) product will do.

I love my Toyota!
By sfvguy on 11/16/04 17:31 PM (PST)

1999 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Best car I've ever had. No problems in 5+ years and 75,000 miles! Would be hard for me to buy anything but a Toyota given the reliability and quality of this car!