Used 1999 Toyota Corolla LE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Could not kill it!
By themanindbox

1999 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Well, I owned a 99 corolla from new until 2005 when I sold it for 4 grand. At that point it had a little over 315K miles on it, didn't burn oil, no lights, and everything that was in it worked. I had to replace oil every 3k miles, but that is about it. It handled better then a civic, got better mpg, and was faster off the line, not to mention cheaper to insure. I would love to get my hands on a 99 corolla with a blown motor with the options I had in mine, it is a perfect candidate for a 2zz swap. I have owned over 18 cars in my life, and nothing on the planet will take a beating like a Toyota. Not Honda, and nothing American can come close.

Favorite Features

Power everything; Moonroof true stick shift

Suggested Improvements

Window regulators did not work correctly and would require you to hold the glass to get it to close correctly. (Recalled about 2 years after I sold it)

This car is amazing!
By rodnygil

1999 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this Corolla for 500 dollars with 60,000 from someone who hit a tree and left the car to sit in an alley. I purchased a new front bumper, headlights and windshield and fixed the car. I am still driving the car 3 years later and have put 70,000 miles later. The car runs strong, I have only bought tires, oil changes and a battery. This car is amazing and is great on gas. The car is a bit slow especially when merging on the freeway but what does a person expect from a Corolla. I will buy another Corolla without hesitation. Thank You Toyota. I love my cheap little car.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, gas mileage (30+mpg), reliability, sound system, interior quality, its paid for :)

Suggested Improvements

Slow but its an older model, does not handle well in the snow. I really can't complain about anything.

I must have got the lemon
By Jason

1999 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car because of its reputation with reliability and good fuel economy. I put aside my thirst for a sporty car and decided this car would be more practical. However, this car has had the craziest electrical problems. With only 80,000 miles on the car, while driving on the highway, the speedometer dies and the transmission will not shift out of first gear. It only happens in the summer if it has been sitting in the sun, or if I am driving on the highway in the winter with the heater on, so heat is obviously a factor. No mechanic has been able to fix it and I have spent around 1,000 dollars trying to get this problem fixed.

Favorite Features

Great fuel economy. Everyone talks about how reliable these cars are, I guess I got a lemon.

Suggested Improvements

The plastic interior in the car is terrible. The cup holders are made out of a foam that tears easily. The door covering my center console has broken off and my arm rest compartment does not open or shut properly.

Very Reliable
By kctoyotaowner

1999 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2000 after my H.S. graduation. I wanted something that would last me longer than a typical first car. I got what I wanted! This vehicle has carried me through several moves, college, and now a daily commute in my career. It handles well in snow and ice and have never had any issues with the A/C and heating. I have replaced the struts, tires, battery, and brakes - everything to be expected. I'm at 100,000+ and still going! Some loss of pickup with passengers but overall, a great car.

Favorite Features

Reliability! Headlight automatic on/off, great heating and A/C, interior is comfortable, huge trunk!

Suggested Improvements

They've redone the body style which was needed, other than that, not much else to suggest.

Reliable and Excellent Corolla
By Ennio Popol

1999 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Very Comfortable and reliable car with excellent safety. This car has already 7 years and the engine really bright with power and economy. For me the more important thing is the reliabilty about it. The main maintenance that I made to the car was to change the clutch just 2 months ago. This is a really, really, really good car, cheap to maintenance.

Favorite Features

The peace of mind when you need something reliable, you know that it never fail! It's a pleasure to drive the car. The trunk is really big.

Suggested Improvements

I suggest that Toyota can offer more options in the interiors, specifically in colors and patterns. The quality is excellent.