Used 1999 Toyota Corolla Sedan Consumer Reviews - 73 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Toyota Corolla Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Bullet Proof
By MtnRoad

1999 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I purchased a used 1999 Toyota Corolla LE with a 1.8L 4spd automatic trans w/ OD in 2014 with approx 150,000 miles on it. It had been well taken care of by the previous owner, and I continued the same maintenance with regular oil changes, etc. I took it to Riverview Toyota in Mesa, AZ for my regular maintenance and they never fleeced me or recommended anything other than the oil changes and other regular maintenance. The brake pads were kind of making a slow grind and I took it into Riverview and they were honest and told me the previous owner didn't install ceramic brake pads (at a non Toyota shop) and the grind was nothing, don't worry about it they said keep driving it and ignore the non-ceramic brake pad sound (they could have lied and charged me for new brakes but they didn't). I only mention the dealership because the honest service I got from the manufacturer was half the experience of owning this car. THIS MODEL IS BULLET PROOF!!! It ran perfectly, was quick in city and highway driving, and had a smooth ride, and the seats were pretty comfortable and like new. The engine uses a timing chain so no need to worry about timing belts coming apart and causing damage. As you know, timing chains typically outlast the life of a car. I never had any problems with a/c, power windows, locks, or other stuff either. The trunk is pretty spacious and the rear seats fold down to extend the cargo capacity with a opening to the trunk. This is the little car that keeps going and going. I just sold it to a neighbor with 180k on it and he loves it too. If there was anything I could complain about it would be the low profile and it is hard to get in and out for larger / taller people. Rock chips on the front were pretty bad and it appears the paint doesn't hold up well over the years but my car was white so it didn't look bad at all. I put a cheap $30 "pleather" bra on the front and it looked pretty good. If you want a reliable car that will start every time, this is the car. I would drive this car to Alaska and back, no problem. Gas mileage in this car is awesome too. I would buy another one, and recommend this car to anyone.

Great little workhorse!
By Kelley King

1999 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan

I am on my 5th Corolla. Bought a 2004 because my 1999 was totaled in an accident. I love the roominess of this year, and it runs just as smooth and reliably as all of my other Toyotas!

Car of the century
By dorell

1999 Toyota Corolla Sedan VE 4dr Sedan

I'm happy with Corolla I got, because is very reliable, no ifs and buts about it. Also is excellent in gas mileage department, especially for the size of the car. I'm a tall guy, and I fit inside, just enough to be happy with it. A little smaller, and it would be a different opinion, and I'm 6"1.

Another thing I didn't know about this car, is, that is very cheap to fix too, for an import. Easy access to all car parts, and also it has an amazingly big trunk.
What can I say, except that I will try to upgrade the year of it, and that I recommend it , to all people, and more to ones that do a lot of driving to work every day.

High mileage out of a gas tank. Sharp turning.

I would like to have the steering wheel tilt feature and more selections for the wiper's delayed speeds.

Most Reliable Car ever Made!!
By dblock1283

1999 Toyota Corolla Sedan VE 4dr Sedan

This 1999 corolla is absolutely amazing. More reliable than any Honda I've owned. 200,000 miles, I've put on 40k of them in 2 years and only have done oil changes. The car is way more comfortable than civic or integra of same year, ride is smooth and power is sufficient.

Super reliable, never have to fix it (except the inside door handles, but those are easy and cheap!)

Inside door handles is the ONLY part of the car that breaks

Never owned such a great car
By eddyman1983

1999 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car last year with 200 000 km on it for 900 bucks.
Changed the 4 shocks(didn't have to but back end sagged a bit) and changed the oil.
Doesn't burn oil still and now has 240 000.
I have never seen a car so reliable. car handles great, even better that my accord.
Once a honda man, now a toyota man.
I'll keep it until i fall through the floor.