1999 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:
Most Reliable Car ever Made!!
By dblock1283 on 10/30/14 23:16 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Corolla VE 4dr Sedan

This 1999 corolla is absolutely amazing. More reliable than any Honda I've owned. 200,000 miles, I've put on 40k of them in 2 years and only have done oil changes. The car is way more comfortable than civic or integra of same year, ride is smooth and power is sufficient.

Beauty in the eyes of the beholder
By kenwid1988 on 12/24/12 08:50 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota Corolla VE 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1999 Corolla VE out of desperation. Needed something to replace my 1993 Accord with almost 300K miles (no kidding). I wish I would have taken my time, because I'm not loco for this car. It is too basic. I bought it in Nov. 2007 with 76K miles for $9K! I felt it was too much, but OMG it was a Toyota. Quality this, quality that. Yeah, this car can take a beating, and still run its little sluggish heart. But it is ugly in the back LOL! It looks mad as hell in the back with it's squinting eye taillight design LOL! It's probably mad that it can't perform worth words I cannot say at church. If ANYTHING, get an LE model and not the VE, at least you can have power everything. VERY LEAST!

You Get Your Money's Worth
By Dr. Storch on 08/18/09 13:02 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Corolla VE 4dr Sedan

This is the second 99 VE I have owned. The first one was totaled with 112K on the ODO and that car needed nothing. My current VE was purchased three years ago with 69K on the ODO. I now have 165K on the ODO and I only had to replace the alternator and the usual things like a battery and tires. The only problem I have now is that the CEL comes on indicating a problem within the EVAP system. This can be costly to repair. The car is now burning about a quart of oil every 500 miles. I always change the oil every 5k and listen to what my mechanic tells me. I happen to have a very honest mechanic which is very hard to find! If I can find one to replace this one for the right $ I will!

Great reliable car. I recommend it!
By tobias on 12/28/07 22:58 PM (PST)

1999 Toyota Corolla VE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car about 3.5 years ago when I was in college. It's been the only car I've owned. I wanted a car that would be reliable and not cost me much to maintain and that it has been! I have almost 100,000 miles on it. I just replaced the front brakes, but otherwise just basic maintenance. It's the VE which is VERY stripped down...doesn't even have intermittent whippers (I joke that the whippers have 2 speeds, fast and faster). The engine is loud on the highway, and I can tell the difference in pick up when I have passengers. But those are my biggest complaints. Overall I love this car!

Love my Corolla
By Roger on 06/26/06 17:46 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Corolla VE 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Corolla two and a half years ago with 67,000 miles on it. It is my first car. Up to this point I could not be happier with my purchase. On the road the Corolla is very easy to drive and feels stable at all speeds. The ride for the most part is comfortable except when driving over large bumps or uneven road surfaces. The gas mileage is terrific. I routinely average 29mpg in city driving with the automatic transmission. The interior of the Corolla is nice too. The materials are high quality and the controls are very simple, I would even say too simple. The cabin is usually quite except for an annoying rattleling noise that comes from within the center console.

Reliable commute car
By Bo on 03/28/06 18:40 PM (PST)

1999 Toyota Corolla VE 4dr Sedan

I have put 160K on it,in general its been reliable, no major problems. Its cheap to maintain and will run for long time. I have long commute and like to stay in fast lane all the time, enginee start burning oil when its about 120k, not very bad but the rear is "smoked", its very obvious on a white bumper. Also replaced the front struct at about 130k mile, I took it on to dirt road couple times on camping trips with few hundred pond load. Front hood paint has many large chips due to long hours on the road, steering wheel top portion wore out due to the sweat and sunshine, front windshield replaced due to cracks. Overall I recomand it to commuter who dont push it too hard

Buy One!!
By sbj on 03/30/05 09:48 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota Corolla VE 4dr Sedan

Bought this corolla 1 yr. ago for a daily commuter. It has been an awesome car. I put 25,000 miles on it with no problems. It is comfortable and fun to drive. The car has 100k, and it drives like new, still very tight. I expect to be able to drive this to 300k.

Flintstones' vehicle
By Laura on 03/29/05 04:16 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota Corolla VE 4dr Sedan

This bare-bones car runs and runs. Although the styling, road noise, and freeway handling leave a lot to be desired; the fuel economy, peppy street performance, and reliability are excellent.

Best car I've ever owned
By AWESOME CAR on 12/20/04 16:43 PM (PST)

1999 Toyota Corolla VE 4dr Sedan

My 1999 Corolla just hit 100,000 mles. The only repair I have ever had was a tail light bulb. Clearly, the best car I've ever owned. I drive it everywhere at almost 40 mpg and never have a doubt that it won't get me back home. Thanks Toyota!!

Most reliable car I've ever had!
By sockem_dog on 05/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Corolla VE 4dr Sedan

There's nothing fun or flashy about this car... but it holds up so well you don't care about that. I had the original brakes replaced at 115,000 miles and there was still plenty left on them. This car has been through hot and cold weather and never a problem. If you want reliability, get this car.