Used 1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Still going...
By Wendy

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I've had my LE for almost 8 years now. It has over 118k on it and it's still going. I bought the car for it's cute, sporty look(I added the rear spoiler and moon roof). I liked the price and it's fuel efficiency. My next car will definitely be a Toyota.

Favorite Features

I liked the white faced gauges, spoiler, and body style.

Suggested Improvements

The front drink holders were not convenient to use. My driver's side sun visor broke off on me twice.

Corolla review
By Jim

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan

The wife loves the car in all respects. I do not like its comfort level for me, although she is 5"1 and fits in it easily. I don't. Driving it is a pain for me at 5'10".

Favorite Features

MPG; looks; perfect for smaller person.

Suggested Improvements

Comfort for larger person.

Corolla=RELIABLE
By Dave

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan VE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car brand new in 1998. First year it was incredibly smooth and quiet. Very surprising performance for a small car. Ours has the 5 speed, so mileage is GREAT. Recently (2005) I drove 412 miles on 10.67 gallons of gas. That is 38 MPG! This was not all interstate miles either. It was mixed, city and highway miles. That was pretty impressive considering the car just passed 138,000 miles. The AC is great, and so is the heat. The channel preset buttons on the radio are all falling off, which stinks. The cup holder in the rear seat was placed in a bad spot. The cloth seats are adequate and are durable. The interior panels are resistant to temp extremes (no cracking so far). Great car.

Favorite Features

Engine reliablility, and gas mileage. Sporty looks. At 138000 miles, it still has the original clutch, pumps, alternator, AC compressor. The only thing I've replaced is the starter, plugs, tires, brakes, filters, and oil.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holder in the back seat location bad. When left out, it is at "foot level" leading to getting kicked by kids entering/exiting car. It broke the first year. The dome light switch has gone bad, twice. Currently the fixture isn't working. Clunky to use. Steering wheel is starting to crumble with age

Love it!
By vicenza77

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Bought the car used two years ago and beside regular maintenance, I have had a pleasurable experience. It is a nice looking car which has kept its value over the years.

Favorite Features

Style, comfortable seats, good A/C, mpg is great (especially with the sky high gas prices), great handling in inclement weather.

Suggested Improvements

My car in particular doesn't have the greatest shocks/struts which makes long trips not so smooth. Cup holders stink, defroster could be a little better, storage compartment inbetween the front seats is a pain. All minor details compared to the rest of the car.

Great Buy
By LindaB

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan VE 4dr Sedan

I bought my used Corolla just over three years ago and it has been problem-free. It now has about 70,000 miles on it, gets great gas mileage and does not burn oil. The AC and heater do their jobs well and it's easy to handle. With an upgraded sound system, the original speakers sound great. This may be the smartest auto purchase I've ever made.

Favorite Features

Ease of handling, economical to maintain, easy on gas and oil, lots of trunk space for a compact car, nice looking inside and out, and extremely dependable.

Suggested Improvements

Would be more comfy if the seats had a bit more wiggle room and would go back a few extra notches. Seatbelts cut into my neck. Cup holder interferes with small storage compartment and ashtray. With three adults and luggage, it's sluggish in climbing steep hills... and that's without the AC on.