1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:
My Corolla is still going strong...
By baba_ganoush on 04/12/05 21:44 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Bought an LE (Touring) in 1998. 30 seconds out of the showroom, it started making this HORRIBLE grinding noise. Dealer fixed it under warranty (a loose lug nut in the front aluminum alloy wheels), but entire new car experience was compromised. Then, for the first 20k miles, the car made a squeaky old mattress noise -- turned out the Goodyear Integrity tires had uneven wear. Goodyear disagreed, so did the Berkeley, CA dealership. Bought tires (Pirellis) out of own pocket. Noise went away for a bit, but came back at 40k. Bought new Yokohamas, and has been perfect since. Back seat had enough barely enough leg room - - it is a total joke. Auto. tansmission pickup is pathetic. Still LOVE IT!!

Love my Corolla
By ADwyer on 03/17/05 14:06 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan

I bought my Corolla because I wanted a car that would last, I could depend on, and wouldn't require a lot of unexpected repair cost. I have not been disappointed. I love the gas mileage, I love the realibility (which is second to none.) I have 165K on it today, and it shows no signs of slowing down anytime soon. Other than regular maintainence I have put nothing into this car. I think about buying something bigger because of the short backseat, however, I am scared to give up the dependability I have grown to expect.

Not Toyota's Best
By Jon H on 03/11/05 09:44 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I dont know what everyone is talking about. I have had my car for 3 years. I bought it used in 2002 w/ about 68,000 miles. And the list of problems start 3 days after I bought it. I don't know if I got the runt or what. But this car is crap. Seats are hard, uncomfortable for drives longer then 20 mins. I had to have a new engine put in it just about 100,000 miles. Only good thing I can say, is I'm glad I bought the extended warantee. Which just went up @ 104K, and now it needs new seals.... just lovely. I bought this car expecting so much. And I must say it has let me down. I honestly wish I had just kept my '98 Dodge neon. Yes you heard me.................

Good Car for the price
By Mauricio on 12/19/04 13:00 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I bought This car about three weeks ago So far its great, Excellent Fuel Economy. Concerned about paint thats chipped less than a 1/4 inch on the center of the door, Other wise the car is great. I've Changed the stock streo to a new sony in-dash cd player and sounds great with the stock speakers. I would recommend this viechle to anyone in any age range.

Not as fun as I thought
By Ben Vo on 08/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan

This car is not too bad. It bottoms out in the rear all the time. The shocks should be better than the one's it came with. Had a problem with the seatbelt sensor and my front lightbulbs wear out quickly.

Great car!
By genethegeek on 08/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

We purchased this car new in '98 and besides regular maint. and a $1 muffler repair (no joking, a bolt came loose) this car has been problem free. Not bad for over a car with more than 100K miles. The ride is comfortable and handling in the winter is much better than I expected. I also like the fact there are *no* rattles or squeeks. I don't think you can do better for a inexpensive small car.

love it
By MollyMac on 04/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Although I haven't had my car that long, I love the corolla. My car has everything I need. Lots of space to store things, power, good handling and turn radius, among other bonuses. The gas milage is great and I like the design. This car is very practical and a great commuter car.

A Good Year for a Toyota Corolla
By DiButterfly2003 on 03/14/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Purchased in 1998 and still seeing the model being driven by others, car has been very reliable and met my travel needs. Design wise it is ho-hum but mileage wise it is excellent. A tank of gas fuels about 300-320 miles - more if you have the Westerlies behind you. Although a sports car fan at heart, the car is my 4th Toyota and it has served me well.

wonderful car
By krausaj on 03/12/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from a relative in 2001. She (the car) never gave me a problem. I loved the turning radius, the power she had (when empty), the blue/green color, and the great looking trunk. This car was so faithful that even when I left the interior lights on all night I didn't have a problem starting. She was small enough to park in tight spots, and large enough to take on trips. She got around 33 mpg. The radio was awesome and I liked the temperature gage. She didn't even show dirt too badly. I loved my car and would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Big Nasty
By Luciano Gonzalez on 02/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan VE 4dr Sedan

This vehicle is so much fun to drive and its really fast. i had driven this car from Philadelphia to North Carolina and me and my kids were so confertable. I'm glad they made this car. Thank You Toyota!!!