Used 1998 Toyota Corolla Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Love my Corolla!!!
By Laura

1998 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

This is a great car, I only had to replace the starter and battery so far. It always starts right up even on the coldest days of winter! I now need to replace the shocks/struts just from regular wear and tear. It's a nice looking car, but the back seat leg room isn't too good. Overall I am very happy with this car and would recommend it to anybody. It has 160k and still runs like new!

The front seats recline nicely so I can take a nap during my break at work! It has a nice big trunk for a small car.

The ashtray should be on the dash away from the cup holders! You can't use the ashtray unless you close the cup holder and the cup holder is in the way of the cig lighter or cell phone charger!

Most reliable car
By oldetimer

1998 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for eleven years and have had no major problems with it; in fact, very, very few minor problems. It's certainly not an exciting car to drive, but it is extremely reliable and just keeps going. It has averaged about 32-34 mpg. This is the best made car I have ever owned.

The best feature of this car has always been its reliability. In eleven years nothing major has gone wrong.

The odometer and two trip odometers are LCDs; at times they are difficult to read-not enough brightness and contrast. This problem also exists with the digital clock.

trusty old friend
By pedro

1998 Toyota Corolla VE 4dr Sedan

I have driven over 280,000 miles in mostly urban traffic with some expressway also. This car is not a good long distance hauler due to its 3 speed tranny. I should have spent extra and gotten the 4 speed. Thank god they don't make those anymore. It's an excellent around town car even with all the miles I still get about 28mpg which is what the EPA says I should get. Mechanically very reliable, although lately I replaced the mounts with aftermarket units and I ruined the car. It now shakes and vibrates to the point of being intolerable to all but the shortest trips.

Reliability, get in the morning and know it's gonna start peace of mind.

Since this car is no longer made, its pointless except if you're gonna buy a used one DO NOT GET THE 3 SPEED.

Luv my 1998 Toyota
By Sweet Pea

1998 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

What a fabulous small car! I have enjoyed driving this car for 11 years now, and it's still going strong. The fuel efficiency is outstanding. I have and never done anything other than routine maintenance on this car (which I purchased new), and it now has 195,000 miles on it. I recently test drove some new cars, and my 98 Toyota actually drove better than some of them!

Fuel efficiency, durability, reliability and it's fun to drive (I'm 5'6").

Improved cupholders would be good -- had several Pepsi Cola's fall in the floor. (Of course, but this is minor compared to all you get.)

The energizer bunny
By martinafan

1998 Toyota Corolla VE 4dr Sedan

This car is awesome I have just under 270,000 miles, use it everyday like a taxi, going from client to client mixed city and expressway driving, only repair has been struts cv joints and rack and pinion unit. Original alternator, starter, ignition and exhaust. ac tranny never repaired, inside cheap materials make the car look abused,but as far as driving it it's still almost as good as new

seats are pretty comfy, reliability of course and easy to get parts for at a good price

well since they don't make these anymore, that's pointless, but they should have put in a better interior