1998 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:
ultimate reliability
By 9 longyears on 01/15/07 19:23 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

my wife bought this car new 9 years and 214,000 miles ago. other than brakes and tires all parts are original with the exception of the starter, which we replaced last year. we are not gental car owners; its maybe been washed 4 times, we have driven 4 hours with two large dogs(over 200lbs) in the back seat (many times), and for the last two years abused by my daughter. it makes that energiser bunny look like a wuss. it's taken us from college to first jobs, from apartments to first home, through dating to marrige and kids. best built car ever.

'98 Toyota Corolla LE Sedan
By Jack on 01/13/07 18:37 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan

Has been a very good running and driving car. Maintenance has been nil. A little more power in engine would help it in climbing mountains. However, very seldom driven in mountains.

Best Car I Ever Owned
By Donna on 11/21/06 08:52 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota Corolla VE 4dr Sedan

I am amazed that I still have the original muffler and pipes on this car! I have it serviced regularly and never had any "surprise" problems with it. It's got over 90,000 miles, is fuel efficient and I love it because it's dependable, not because it's "fun to drive". Maybe I'll upgrade to the Camry next time but I'm sure happy with my Corolla!

Solid, reliable car with no frills
By Will E. on 08/04/06 06:59 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

Have had my Corolla CE with 5-Speed manual transmission for past 8 years (73k miles). Runs same as when new. It's a small car that isn't great on the highway due to the weight and powerplant (and additional passengers and/or having the AC on will bog it down somewhat), but it was cheap, reliable, and gets over 30 MPG city. I have had no mechanical problems - just change the oil, etc. Haven't even changed a light bulb. Overall a great value and I plan on driving it at least another few years.

Superb Reliability
By Buhite on 05/03/06 09:39 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan

This is the most reliable automobile I have ever owned. We have two 1998 Corollas one is an LE and the other a CE. Both were purchased used at 30,000. Both now have over 100,000. This is truly an economy car needing normal maintenance and only one repair ever: the throttle position sensor on both cars one time.

Still going...
By Wendy on 03/18/06 14:32 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan

I've had my LE for almost 8 years now. It has over 118k on it and it's still going. I bought the car for it's cute, sporty look(I added the rear spoiler and moon roof). I liked the price and it's fuel efficiency. My next car will definitely be a Toyota.

Corolla review
By Jim on 01/07/06 12:40 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

The wife loves the car in all respects. I do not like its comfort level for me, although she is 5"1 and fits in it easily. I don't. Driving it is a pain for me at 5'10".

Corolla=RELIABLE
By Dave on 08/24/05 12:58 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Corolla VE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car brand new in 1998. First year it was incredibly smooth and quiet. Very surprising performance for a small car. Ours has the 5 speed, so mileage is GREAT. Recently (2005) I drove 412 miles on 10.67 gallons of gas. That is 38 MPG! This was not all interstate miles either. It was mixed, city and highway miles. That was pretty impressive considering the car just passed 138,000 miles. The AC is great, and so is the heat. The channel preset buttons on the radio are all falling off, which stinks. The cup holder in the rear seat was placed in a bad spot. The cloth seats are adequate and are durable. The interior panels are resistant to temp extremes (no cracking so far). Great car.

Love it!
By vicenza77 on 08/23/05 16:24 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan

Bought the car used two years ago and beside regular maintenance, I have had a pleasurable experience. It is a nice looking car which has kept its value over the years.

Great Buy
By LindaB on 05/28/05 23:45 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Corolla VE 4dr Sedan

I bought my used Corolla just over three years ago and it has been problem-free. It now has about 70,000 miles on it, gets great gas mileage and does not burn oil. The AC and heater do their jobs well and it's easy to handle. With an upgraded sound system, the original speakers sound great. This may be the smartest auto purchase I've ever made.