Used 1998 Toyota Corolla Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Most reliable car
By oldetimer

1998 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for eleven years and have had no major problems with it; in fact, very, very few minor problems. It's certainly not an exciting car to drive, but it is extremely reliable and just keeps going. It has averaged about 32-34 mpg. This is the best made car I have ever owned.

Favorite Features

The best feature of this car has always been its reliability. In eleven years nothing major has gone wrong.

Suggested Improvements

The odometer and two trip odometers are LCDs; at times they are difficult to read-not enough brightness and contrast. This problem also exists with the digital clock.

trusty old friend
By pedro

1998 Toyota Corolla VE 4dr Sedan

I have driven over 280,000 miles in mostly urban traffic with some expressway also. This car is not a good long distance hauler due to its 3 speed tranny. I should have spent extra and gotten the 4 speed. Thank god they don't make those anymore. It's an excellent around town car even with all the miles I still get about 28mpg which is what the EPA says I should get. Mechanically very reliable, although lately I replaced the mounts with aftermarket units and I ruined the car. It now shakes and vibrates to the point of being intolerable to all but the shortest trips.

Favorite Features

Reliability, get in the morning and know it's gonna start peace of mind.

Suggested Improvements

Since this car is no longer made, its pointless except if you're gonna buy a used one DO NOT GET THE 3 SPEED.

Luv my 1998 Toyota
By Sweet Pea

1998 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

What a fabulous small car! I have enjoyed driving this car for 11 years now, and it's still going strong. The fuel efficiency is outstanding. I have and never done anything other than routine maintenance on this car (which I purchased new), and it now has 195,000 miles on it. I recently test drove some new cars, and my 98 Toyota actually drove better than some of them!

Favorite Features

Fuel efficiency, durability, reliability and it's fun to drive (I'm 5'6").

Suggested Improvements

Improved cupholders would be good -- had several Pepsi Cola's fall in the floor. (Of course, but this is minor compared to all you get.)

The energizer bunny
By martinafan

1998 Toyota Corolla VE 4dr Sedan

This car is awesome I have just under 270,000 miles, use it everyday like a taxi, going from client to client mixed city and expressway driving, only repair has been struts cv joints and rack and pinion unit. Original alternator, starter, ignition and exhaust. ac tranny never repaired, inside cheap materials make the car look abused,but as far as driving it it's still almost as good as new

Favorite Features

seats are pretty comfy, reliability of course and easy to get parts for at a good price

Suggested Improvements

well since they don't make these anymore, that's pointless, but they should have put in a better interior

OK car
By okie

1998 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan

This car is for small people but has perks like the gas mileage. I have a 70 mile commute every workday and only spend 20 dollars on gas every week. It has flaws but they are minimal for the price. Anyone looking for a car with good reliability for its price and doesnt care about cosmetic problems will love it

Favorite Features

MPG and AC are wonderful.

Suggested Improvements

Both doorhandles have broken off on the inside and one on the outside dome light went out but works if you bang on the ceiling the starter is going out but it still kinda has power and paint is fading.