1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:
3 speed in highway stinks!
By martinafan on 12/06/09 07:38 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan VE 4dr Sedan

Bought it new now has 295,000 miles, replaced engine 6/09 after 292k miles.replaced alternator, fixed tranny once, interior not to Toyota standards, but it does get me to where I need to go without any fuss, good mpg's but the 3 speed w/o overdrive is horrible. If I replace this car with another one like it, got to be either a 4 speed or manual. Toyota should have done away with 3 speed when they redesigned car in '98. But base version was made to take place of discontinued Tercel. So VE has no clock, trunk release, adj. wheel, etc. Nevertheless very reliable car, was able to replace engine for about $1200 including labor, got one from a junked car with only 93k miles.

trusty old friend
By pedro on 03/30/09 13:54 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan VE 4dr Sedan

I have driven over 280,000 miles in mostly urban traffic with some expressway also. This car is not a good long distance hauler due to its 3 speed tranny. I should have spent extra and gotten the 4 speed. Thank god they don't make those anymore. It's an excellent around town car even with all the miles I still get about 28mpg which is what the EPA says I should get. Mechanically very reliable, although lately I replaced the mounts with aftermarket units and I ruined the car. It now shakes and vibrates to the point of being intolerable to all but the shortest trips.

The energizer bunny
By martinafan on 10/01/08 14:32 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan VE 4dr Sedan

This car is awesome I have just under 270,000 miles, use it everyday like a taxi, going from client to client mixed city and expressway driving, only repair has been struts cv joints and rack and pinion unit. Original alternator, starter, ignition and exhaust. ac tranny never repaired, inside cheap materials make the car look abused,but as far as driving it it's still almost as good as new

Best Car I Ever Owned
By Donna on 11/21/06 08:52 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan VE 4dr Sedan

I am amazed that I still have the original muffler and pipes on this car! I have it serviced regularly and never had any "surprise" problems with it. It's got over 90,000 miles, is fuel efficient and I love it because it's dependable, not because it's "fun to drive". Maybe I'll upgrade to the Camry next time but I'm sure happy with my Corolla!

Corolla=RELIABLE
By Dave on 08/24/05 12:58 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan VE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car brand new in 1998. First year it was incredibly smooth and quiet. Very surprising performance for a small car. Ours has the 5 speed, so mileage is GREAT. Recently (2005) I drove 412 miles on 10.67 gallons of gas. That is 38 MPG! This was not all interstate miles either. It was mixed, city and highway miles. That was pretty impressive considering the car just passed 138,000 miles. The AC is great, and so is the heat. The channel preset buttons on the radio are all falling off, which stinks. The cup holder in the rear seat was placed in a bad spot. The cloth seats are adequate and are durable. The interior panels are resistant to temp extremes (no cracking so far). Great car.

Great Buy
By LindaB on 05/28/05 23:45 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan VE 4dr Sedan

I bought my used Corolla just over three years ago and it has been problem-free. It now has about 70,000 miles on it, gets great gas mileage and does not burn oil. The AC and heater do their jobs well and it's easy to handle. With an upgraded sound system, the original speakers sound great. This may be the smartest auto purchase I've ever made.

Big Nasty
By Luciano Gonzalez on 02/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan VE 4dr Sedan

This vehicle is so much fun to drive and its really fast. i had driven this car from Philadelphia to North Carolina and me and my kids were so confertable. I'm glad they made this car. Thank You Toyota!!!

reliable
By Claire on 10/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan VE 4dr Sedan

I've LOVED my Corolla!! I'm the kinda car owner that wants to put my key in and have the car go and not need to know anymore than that. I wasn't fond of the dealer in Seattle re: maintenance (I was treated poorly)but luckily haven't needed to go often! I'm thinking of trading it in sadly but only to get more space of a minivan. I bought it as a childless couple and the carseat and long commute on the ferry seems to be shrinking the interior. If I had gone for a CE or LE I would have had that fold down seat to the trunk which would have fixed everything but...I don't :)

BUILT TO LAST
By GUY B on 08/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan VE 4dr Sedan

THIS VEHICLE HAS GOOD POWER, GOOD PERFORMANCE AND IS GREAT QUALITY...IS A SURE BUY...